Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the 450 be a highway bike (65-70)?
Do miles matter? Is 17,000 too much?
How does the ride height compare to the 350? Weight?
Price range for a project?

Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
With the appropriate gearing it should make a nice highway cruiser. Although I've heard some people complain of vibration. That can be fixed by removing the uppermost engine mount plates.

People have crossed the country on less fit bikes... ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sure I read somewhere about rubber mounting them or does this not help?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
wedge said:

I've ridden a 450 on long trips many times. You just have to be tough, it ain't a Gold Wing.
Not sure I would recommend removing the upper engine mounts personally, but I've read anecdotal reports about it many times.
Never read about anyone rubber mounting the engines, so you're on your own there........

·
Registered
6 Posts
I rode a CL 450 from Denver to San Fran and back! Of course it was 1971 and I was 18 years old and didn't know any better. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Have you ridden old Honda's before? Why i ask is getting on and older bike after the smooth newer bike is a shock and any old bike will feel like crap/buzzy/soft/hard/gutless etc no matter how well it's looked after ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
wedge said:
Nice idea....believe I'll look into it on my Bomber. Maybe rubber mount the upper mounts ?

I'm a long time vibration expert in the automotive design field...I'd be very leary of removing the upper engine mounts. Just guessing at this point but I'd suspect this would over stress the lower mounts....maybe. ...just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
RicH2 said:
wedge said:
Nice idea....believe I'll look into it on my Bomber. Maybe rubber mount the upper mounts ?

I'm a long time vibration expert in the automotive design field...I'd be very leary of removing the upper engine mounts. Just guessing at this point but I'd suspect this would over stress the lower mounts....maybe. ...just a thought.
Been doing a lot of thinking on this over a cold beer lately, well it is summer :D, and isolating the upper, rear and front mounts appears to be a good place to start. There is enough alloy in the head to take isolastic bushes and the front and back mount brackets are easily remanufactured to accommodate rubber isolator plugs.

I have already started on my next project 450 special and the mounting of the motor is the centre of the exercise, I will be jigging the frame so i can remove and add sections of tubing to lighting and strengthen the frame :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
new handlebar mount rubbers help vibration quite a bit, still available through honda as well. I use a little bit of synthetic grease to get them to seat properly. you could get some cushy grips too.

I'd also recommend new footpeg rubbers, as the original ones are usually rock hard after almost 40 years

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Honest Don said:
new handlebar mount rubbers help vibration quite a bit, still available through honda as well.
Only available for disk-brake CB450, and CL450 K3 and higher.

·
Registered
659 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Honest Don said:
new handlebar mount rubbers help vibration quite a bit, still available through honda as well.
Only available for disk-brake CB450, and CL450 K3 and higher.
A must for any old bike......I make my own.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Whatever you do to make it more comfortable will obviously help but these old bikes arent touring bikes as we know touring bikes today ( GoldWing ) so you should plan on taking your time and alot of breaks. You will be forced to stop about every 100 miles or so to get gas anyway.
Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts