Honda Twins banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Regarding questions. Yes, you can bid the bike online. But registration in Bonhams is essential.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Regarding questions. Engine was rebuilt. New bearings, seals, gaskets, new piston rings, cylinder rebored, new valves, valve seats and guides, new camshaft, crankshaft rebalanced, new timing chain and chain adjuster blade, alternator rotor remagnetized, ignition coil rewinded, new ignition condenser. Engine runs fine, starts fine.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Did you have any difficulty locating these parts for such an old bike? I presume some of them you had to make and engineer. Hard to remove/replace valve seats? Where would you get a new chain adjuster blade? How can you remagnetize an alternator rotor? We with 450's have had rotors magnetically weaken, only option being to find another one that is hopefully stronger. I wrote up a simple test to compare magnetic strengths. Then rewinding an ignition coil with 0.003" thick copper wire without it breaking on turn #593 as an example. Wow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi

I had a lot of problems findind the parts. 2 persons helped me a lot. One lady from Japan, and one man (US soldier), who served in this country long time ago.

Entire head labour was extremely difficult.

Chain adjuster blade I made from special spring steel :)

Rotor was remagnetized by famous electrical engineer, who assembled special device for it. Really works. I have a gauss meter (measures magnets power) and values on rotor are 3x times bigger now!

Rewinding coil was also a big challenge, but now spark is very good :)

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Impressive. DIY nickel as well as Zinc?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes, but copper and chrome plating was done by professionals. I worked several years in chemical industry, so know a little how to deal with :)

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
After seeing those excellent videos at David Silver's web site, I think the right person bought your fine motorcycle.

By the way, I think where his museum/shop is located isn't far from Molesworth AFB that my dad flew out of in WWII as a waist gunner on a B17. 9 missions.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
hello forum friends,

My newest client is GNARLY Magazine, a print publication dedicated to the world of kustom kulture. We're going to be featuring this bike in the near future! So...if you dig lowbrow artists, kustom kulture/bikes, and the general DIY spirit...please visit www.gnarlymagazine.com

cheers!

·
Super Moderator
10,284 Posts
Fine for most of us J, but not so much for the younger crowd that is part of this forum with their parents. I'm sure you saw the lower left of the home page... being outrageous these days has been taken to a level beyond what is necessary IMO

21 - 35 of 35 Posts