Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be a slow but on going project. I have lots of plans in my head so I will try to update as things progress.

I picked up the bike earlier this summer - it was in okay condition. It had been sitting for a year, but was in running condition.

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

Things that have been replaced to date:
  • Oil and filter
  • Grips
  • Master Brake Cylinder
  • EBC Front Brake Pads
  • Steering Bearings
  • Tach and Speedo Cable
  • Battery
  • New Shinko 712 Tires

As of yesterday - I sprung an oil leak. I am suspecting it is the gear shifter seal. I took the left crankcase cover off but haven't done much more.
While its off, I plan on changing the sprockets and chain. As well as check the valve clearance. And replace whatever seal is leaking.

image1.jpg

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Shifter seal is very common leak on these machines. I deal with Orillia Motor Sports for lots of things. They just slip a seal in an envelope and no extra charge for shipping. Wade is the guy to talk to there. (705) 325-6311. The part number is 91204-425-003.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
This will be a slow but on going project. I have lots of plans in my head so I will try to update as things progress.

I picked up the bike earlier this summer - it was in okay condition. It had been sitting for a year, but was in running condition.

Things that have been replaced to date:
  • Oil and filter
  • Grips
  • Master Brake Cylinder
  • EBC Front Brake Pads
  • Steering Bearings
  • Tach and Speedo Cable
  • Battery
  • New Shinko 712 Tires

As of yesterday - I sprung an oil leak. I am suspecting it is the gear shifter seal. I took the left crankcase cover off but haven't done much more.
While its off, I plan on changing the sprockets and chain. As well as check the valve clearance. And replace whatever seal is leaking.
Typically you'll look for a clean trail of oil from wherever is leaking, as it runs away from the leaky area it washes away the build-up of gunk in that area... unless it just started and hasn't had a chance to yet. Front sprocket does look worn. Interesting little guy on the gas tank... probably how I'll look in another decade! :lol:

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Naw....he looks too grumpy, Tom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grumpy but well dressed! haha but I have since removed him - Im not a big fan of stickers.

Thanks for the tip on the Orillia Motor Sports - I will keep them in mind. I haven't found a good 'go-to' source for parts yet.

Once I get that area cleaned up, I will run the engine and see if I can find any oil leaking out. Pin down the problem. My hunch is the shifter though.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Orillia is a neat little 'mom and pop' type of shop. I prefer that kind to the huge 'stealerships'. I feel like I get that 'little extra' treatment. They don't stock a bunch for our older bikes (neither do the stealerships), but get anything I've asked for in reasonable time. Orillia is about 470 km from me, and the stealership is about 50 km from me.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm sure there must be a shop down in FL. where you could source the same parts, Tom. The shop in Orillia orders genuine Honda parts, so whatever Honda has available, they will order for me. You could call them and see what they say about cross border shipping. (My local postal outlet doesn't understand how they do it ((seals and other small things)) in regular envelopes for regular postage.)

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Not trying to hijack his thread but Dan, the dealers around the Tampa area don't have squat, they don't know squat about our old bikes and they mostly don't care - they're stealerships too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I decided to clean up some of that mess near the front sprocket tonight while I wait to order that seal.

I decided to replace the spark plugs, caps and trimmed the wire back.

The compression was also done.

I am running 150 on both sides, which from what I read is pretty good.

But the plugs look like I am running rich. I have no idea how long they have been in there from the PO. Plus the old caps were junkie looking.

Should I wait a few hundred kms and check again before I decide on any carb adjustment? Or what's the next step to lean it out?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I should also mention.. I haven't done a valve adjustment yet. And the compression was done using the old plugs.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'd adjust the valves, replace the plugs with D8EA, replace the plug end caps due to age NGK #XD05F, adjust the balance chain. Fire it up and get it hot, adjust the cam chain tensioner and the set the mixtures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other day I adjusted the valves while the bike was stone cold.

Intake side was adjusted to 0.004"
Exhaust side was adjusted to 0.006"

I snapped the valve cover bolt while putting it all back together and it took a few days to get the replacement... but today I was able to take it for a spin.

I am getting a loud ticking noise - definitely from the valves (since it wasnt there before)

All the valves were pretty tight so they all needed loosening.

What feeler gauge sizes do you all adjust the valves to?

Tomorrow i will take the bike apart again to try and fix the annoying ticking noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its been a while since I've posted. So a quick update...

I checked the valves again - I think the first time I gave to much of a gap and not enough drag on the feeler gauge. So all is good with them now.

I then headed to PEI for a few weeks. (Ive got a family cottage there).
The bike, wife and dogs were loaded into the truck. The bike was used with both of us on it to travel around the Island for the time.
This was the first big push for the bike and it handled everything great!! Windy rides, constant speeds around 90km, two people, red dirt roads, cold salty morning air.
Ahhh was amazing!!

image3.jpg

Things I found out about the bike...

Tank is small - I got to visit gas stations very very often haha

The shocks are old and terrible and bottom out often. Actually with further inspection, they started to ruin the rear wiring under the fender. They will need to be replaced. I am looking at a set of progressives for the back. The front forks need to be drained and new oil in them as they compress pretty easily (what fork oil do we use again?)

The front headlight is terrible at night, and after a rain it stopped working (but came back on after a few hours). So I think I will have to update the light and check some wires with that.

All that being said it was great fun and the bike ran for the most part well!

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

A new DIY moto mechanic place opened up in town. You pay for shop time but can use all the tools they have. Its pretty amazing and the owner is very knowledgeable. So last night I brought the bike there and took the carbs off for a cleaning - it was a first time jumping into carbs and seeing what they are like. Was a nice peace of mind seeing the internals and that everything is clean and working well.

image1(1).jpg

The one issue I have been having is while starting. When the bike is cold it is a pain to keep running. The choke seems to force the bike maybe to 1rpm but then quickly drops and usually dies out. My usually procedure is to start and keep it revving for a good couple minutes before I can let it sit at idle and it not die out. Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Yes I have that same tank. Seems like I'm always filling it...lol
I use my 'tripmeter' for fuel gauge. When it gets to 120 km it's getting close to reserve.
Since pushing the bike isn't in my favorite dreams, I fill it at 120 so I don't have to wonder if I'll make it to the next station.
That system may make me stop more often, but , it gives me peace of mind.
My melon doesn't always remember little things like running on reserve, so I try to avoid it...lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine gets around that as well.. 110km-ish before i need to switch into reserve. But like you, I would rather fill up the tank earlier then push my luck haha.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The cold start/run issue is a combination of things. Sounds like the fast idle adjustment needs to be fiddled with. The current fast idle and then dies is both low speed and it's going a bit too rich causing it to die. Fixing the fast idle should take care of that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There's been a couple of projects that went with the Mikuni carbs, had some issues that I don't know if they ever resolved them. This was prior to these kits being sold though so everything was pieced together. I'm considering using these when I get around to doing the cafe bike, couple of projects ahead of that one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts