Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. This is a team profile for the Oak Creek Racing Knights. A high school team enjoying their first season in the BUILD program.

For those of you not familiar with the BUILD program, Founded by The Iron Horse Hotel in 2011, BUILD is a non-profit educational organization dedicated to pairing teams of high school students with bike-building mentors in a collective effort to learn valuable life and interpersonal skills while working on motorcycles.

During a BUILD season, from January to June, each participating team will be given a vintage motorcycle by BUILD to be worked on, along with mentors, in the team’s designated space with the end goal of racing the bike in one or more American Flat Track motorcycle races. The BUILD program provides the chassis, working motor, and core components of the bike for the team to complete building with a few items of customization including the look and design of the bike.

This year, we are building a Honda Cb175. I, being a team mentor, am very familiar with Honda 175's, having owned about a dozen in the last 5 years. We are looking forward to posting out progress throughout the season and hopefully the experts can give us a hand when we come across something that throws us for a loop.

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @ocracingknights

I will do my best to post as many pictures as possible, but will be limited until I get photo releases from all students involved.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is awesome!!! I have never heard of this program. How do you go about becoming a mentor?
TOOLS
I am a teacher at my school and along with another, brought the program to the school. Teams are always looking for mentors if you are in the Milwaukee area.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cart of parts that came with the bike. Keihin PE24 carburetors, Dyna Coil, All Balls Tapered Steering Bearings, Barnett Clutch, Uni Filters, and a whole bunch of cleaning tools and tool kit provided by Harley Davidson. Big thanks to Power-Barn and HD for supplying the parts.

IMG_4884.jpg

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couple of Pictures from last nights build. Once I get photo release forms from all the student's I will be able to post everything.

Follow us on Instagram @ocracingknights

IMG_4896.jpg

Frame blasted (Big thanks to House of Harley for letting us use their blast cainet.

IMG_4897.jpg

Original Intake

IMG_4898.jpg

3D Printed Prototype

IMG_4899.jpg

Machined out intake lowers. We'll be making several sets out of aluminum.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much work do you plan on doing to the engine ?
One fun thing about the program is that all engines are spec built by a local tech college. They are all bored .5mm over, new internals, and hot tanked. They're about as new as you can get. By ensuring that all the engines are the same, it comes down to tuning and rider skills come race time.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
They used to do AHRMA at Road America, but this is the first year for Flat Track.
And I've always loved flat track, especially 1/4 mile, very competitive. Back before Bike Week got sooo crowded and crazy, I went many many years between the early '70s and the early '90s and always caught one night of flat track while there. The 175 engines make a good short track engine, high rev screamers. this effort should produce a lot of fun and great learning experience for the kids

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Like this:

DSCF2343.jpg

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a caution, the head doesnt sit centered on the frame, so building a bend into the manifold or notching the frame will be required, unless you can bring the carbs in to mount directly to the head ( no spigot and rubber hose manifold).
Also 175's are very intake and exhaust length fussy,
I am aware that the intakes are usually kicked out to the side a little bit. I am going to machine the lower flanges so that the carbs will come out to the side a little bit. We also are going to be making several different lengths of intakes to adjust torque curves and things like that.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Have you got any pe22 or cb160 pw22 carbs? The 24 are likely a little over for a stock head and cam grind if you want crisp throttle response.
Patrick and Zeke ran pw26 (from a superhawk) on thier cb175 but that was ported,milled,lightened and polished,bored to over 200cc, run at wot on race fuel with high comp pistons,and oversied valves and cam ground to suit

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you got any pe22 or cb160 pw22 carbs? The 24 are likely a little over for a stock head and cam grind if you want crisp throttle response.
Patrick and Zeke ran pw26 (from a superhawk) on thier cb175 but that was ported,milled,lightened and polished,bored to over 200cc, run at wot on race fuel with high comp pistons,and oversied valves and cam ground to suit
PE24's are what are given to us and unfortunately the budget does not really allow for new carbs to be purchased.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts