Honda Twins banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Got the frame back from the powder coater today. Pictures cannot capture how mice this color came out. I am super excited to start seeing this come together.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Need some Advice/Opinions:

This is my 1968 CL450 motor that I am replacing hardware on. If I am reading the parts fiche correctly, the 4 inner head studs get a sealing (crush) washer and the outer 4 get regular washers.

This is the very last stud I need to do (right outer front) but it is the only stud I've come across with oil seepage. This may be due to a nut not being torqued to spec, but I know some of these old Hondas ran oil up these studs for the valve train.

My question is, do you think there will be any harm done if I go ahead and throw a sealing washer on this stud, or should I stick with the regular washer?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Actually, the only 2 studs that need copper washers are the outer right-hand studs - where the oil flow goes to get to the top end, same places that get the flat o-rings inside the head gasket. The others take standard washers

450headwashers.jpg

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Actually, the only 2 studs that need copper washers are the outer right-hand studs - where the oil flow goes to get to the top end, same places that get the flat o-rings inside the head gasket. The others take standard washers

View attachment 289124
Thank you. I don’t know what I was reading when I saw that. I’ll go ahead and change everything around then.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Got some of the more cosmetic pieces for the top end put on today. Everything gets brand new stainless hardware.

Need to make one quick order to bolt depot and then I’ll be able to do the crankcases.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I also went ahead and put the new Bore Tech ignition on while I had the covers off. What’s cool about this electronic ignition is that it gets rid of the mechanical advance unit and has a programmable redline.

Can’t wait to get this thing back together before the Wisconsin weather gets too cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So yesterday I went ahead and put the new counter sprocket on. Went +1 to give just a bump in top speed. Used a NOS retainer and of course stainless hardware. Not sure why the pic is sideways though

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
So yesterday I went ahead and put the new counter sprocket on. Went +1 to give just a bump in top speed. Used a NOS retainer and of course stainless hardware. Not sure why the pic is sideways though
Unless you plan to do high-performance mods to the engine, you'll get less top speed going up 2 teeth on the front sprocket - and the stock size is 15, not 16. A stock 450 won't reach the factory power peak of 9,000 rpm in 5th gear with the 15 tooth front sprocket, so all you're going to get is lowered rpm on the highway (less vibes) while trading off a fair amount of acceleration. A 17 on the front with the stock 35 rear puts you at about 116 mph at 9,000... I don't think 45 crankshaft hp is going to get a 600+ lb bike and rider combo to that speed

Here's some info on why the pictures show up like that (and most of yours don't enlarge either, unfortunately)

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/25-website-issues/120382-pictures-post-upside-down.html#post1008568

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Unless you plan to do high-performance mods to the engine, you'll get less top speed going up 2 teeth on the front sprocket - and the stock size is 15, not 16. A stock 450 won't reach the factory power peak of 9,000 rpm in 5th gear with the 15 tooth front sprocket, so all you're going to get is lowered rpm on the highway (less vibes) while trading off a fair amount of acceleration. A 17 on the front with the stock 35 rear puts you at about 116 mph at 9,000... I don't think 45 crankshaft hp is going to get a 600+ lb bike and rider combo to that speed

Here's some info on why the pictures show up like that (and most of yours don't enlarge either, unfortunately)

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/25-website-issues/120382-pictures-post-upside-down.html#post1008568
Thanks for that info. Might do a little more research into gearing if this is the case.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Cant wait to see this finished. I think it's going to look stunning. Really like the colour red. How many sleeps before it's done?

41 - 60 of 118 Posts