Honda Twins banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Also made the plunge today and bought my first Cappellini part. Probably the cheapest thing they sell but it was cheaper than buying NOS

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Went ahead and put a coat of paint on the engine. Used Duplicolor 1615 which was pretty close to cloud silver. Also ordered all stainless hardware for the motor. Once I get the powdercoated pieces back, the motor is going to look pretty sharp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you bead blast the engine? Mines a 200 but pretty gross right now I am trying to decide if I can get away with just scrubbing with brass brushes before painting.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Did you bead blast the engine? Mines a 200 but pretty gross right now I am trying to decide if I can get away with just scrubbing with brass brushes before painting.
I did not. Oven cleaner, brake cleaner, wire brush, and elbow grease.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is that a crack in your intake valve cover on the picture before you painted the engine? But you're going to replace the covers anyway, right?
The fork bridge can be welded if you find a capable welder. Don't throw it away because replacement bridges are getting rare.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Is that a crack in your intake valve cover on the picture before you painted the engine? But you're going to replace the covers anyway, right?
The fork bridge can be welded if you find a capable welder. Don't throw it away because replacement bridges are getting rare.
Yes, intake cover is broken, but I have several replacement sets, one of which is getting powdercoated right now.

I kept the fork bridge as a last resort for me to weld up, but I am supposed to have one picked up at Road America this weekend by a friend.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Are you also planning to have a look inside the engine after it has been painted? Considering the condition of the outside of the engine it couldn't hurt to have a look inside while you working on your project. I couldn't believe what I've found in my 450 engine but I had to open it anyway.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Are you also planning to have a look inside the engine after it has been painted? Considering the condition of the outside of the engine it couldn't hurt to have a look inside while you working on your project. I couldn't believe what I've found in my 450 engine but I had to open it anyway.
The engine actually ran quite strong before disassembly, with both cylinders over 150 PSI cold. I’ll check valves and stuff like that, but internally I’ll leave it alone.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I did manage to score what I think is a pretty rare piece. It should be here on Wednesday but I'll give you a clue. It starts with an H and rhymes with looker.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The Texavina seat from Vietnam came in today. It seems to be really good quality and even though I just put it on a bare frame, It looks like it will sit real nice on the bike.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Cannot wait to find out what this Hooker exhaust sounds like on the 450. I tried looking online but found no videos
I had some of those Hookers (in chrome) on a K2 back in the day. Sound is great, noticeable increase in power, as they were highly engineered. I visited the factory once in LA, back in the early 70's, nice folks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
In even more exciting news than my Hooker exhaust score, I also was able to win a Boretech electronic ignition off of eBay for a decent price. Should be a great little runner when it all comes together.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Does anyone have any experience in making a baffle? My hooker exhaust didn’t come with one.

I ordered a 8.5” drag specialties generic one and was going to machine the “plug” for the end of the exhaust.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts