Honda Twins banner

221 - 240 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ask questions if you're looking at used advancers. I had one that was frozen and absolutely useless, so make sure the mechanism is free and rotates on the inner collar. Also, I've seen them with the outer collar so pitted that it makes them virtually useless.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Already, I have gone ahead and purchased the advancer from the 350 G model that I linked on eBay. Thanks for the input guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Update: (LATE) 1/15/2020

The engine is in the frame, but not without a its challenges. The bike is finally starting to look a little bit more beefy with another 70 pounds added on to it. Everything is torqued down in place with a new stainless steel mounting bolt kit. For this kit I decided to switch from Stainless Cycle to Alloy Boltz due to an unsatisfactory kit I received for the side covers. At least with my experience I would advise others to go with you the Alloy Boltz package, as it actually comes with the correct sizes and also includes instructions of sorts.

Anyway as I was saying, Putting in the engine has quite a funny story to it. Originally on a lift (With help) I tried placing it in from left-hand side of the bike. After 45 minutes or so , switching sides, the only progress we had made was a few chips to the paint, a nasty scratch on a polished side cover, and some cuts to my hands and forearms. Dozens of cursewords later I came back (by myself, with a very sore back) and straddled the bike. No Jack this time. I took a few deep breath’s and gently picked up the engine. Coming in from the right hand side (because the lower frame bar is lower). In it went. No dings, no cuts, no cursewords. I just simply slid into place. I seized and just looked at it for about a minute, wondering what the hell just happened. I wasn’t angry about this, just simply relieved that it was over.

For others who are having a hard time with this, As I can recall. There was no turning or rotating the engine. It simply just slid in from the right hand side, oriented the way it fits in the bike.

From here I put in the new bolt kit (starting at the bottom and working up to the top). then applying ant-seize, torquing them down. Alloy Boltz recommended 22ft-Lbs for 10 mm and 10.7ft-Lbs for 8mm. This seemed very low but I guess torque values vary based on bolt material (stainless is more brittle).

·
Super Moderator
23,155 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
Much like BabyBiker, my Mom let me assemble my SL90 project in our Florida room in 10th grade, but all parts had to be washed clean and free of oil or fuel smell (I did the engine in my Dad's backyard garage, then brought it in assembled to put in the frame) and it was a major advantage as it was all done during the winter (okay, we're winter weenies here in FL but it was still cold)... but he BUILT his engine in his room! God bless his parents, they're awesome

·
Registered
495 Posts
By praying .
:-D

Well my daughter has 4 female rats in her bedroom. Love them, they're super sweet, but I'd MUCH, much rather she would put together a motorcycle engine in there, or even the entire thing, believe me. Even though it's on the 2nd floor. Of course I don't think her mom would agree... :p

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine sure was incredibly pissed when my step-dad bought me a Peugeot 103 soon after I turned 14. :-D Then she realized she no longer had to drive me around all the time and she mellowed...

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
hi there . do you have any photos . would love to see what you did with it
If you go to a member's profile, you can see his public info and any albums of pics he shares - here's his

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Update: 1/21/2020

Yesterday morning I got back from a four day long sports trip. Waiting for me in the mail was the used spark advancer from eBay. I opened it up and to my delight it spun freely.

I tore down the unit, cleaned everything, and reassembled with new grease.

Just need to get the washer and bolt that holds it in place. Are these generic parts? Are they special in anyway?

So just one small price to the puzzle in place. I’ll be looking into other parts of the ignition. If anybody has any recommendations on coils, points, etc. please don’t hesitate to leave a response.

·
Sensei
26,600 Posts
The washer is a "special" hardened one, and the bolt is usually "goldish" in color and has a central dimple in the top flat of the hex-head..... This was for use by the mechanic with a mechanical tach on bikes not so equipped, but carried over on many engines....... Bolt is part # 30225-286-004, and washer is # 30226-286-014........

BTW, You DO realize that the breaker cam of the advance unit can be installed in two orientations, one of which will place your timing 180 out.......
With the advancer's drive pin slot at the 6 O'clock position (viewed from back /engine side), the "Flat" of the breaker cam should be near the 6:00 to 7:30 positioning viewed from the front/outside/left side of the engine IIRC......

·
Super Moderator
23,155 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Update: 1/21/2020

Yesterday morning I got back from a four day long sports trip. Waiting for me in the mail was the used spark advancer from eBay. I opened it up and to my delight it spun freely.

I tore down the unit, cleaned everything, and reassembled with new grease.

Just need to get the washer and bolt that holds it in place. Are these generic parts? Are they special in anyway?

So just one small price to the puzzle in place. I’ll be looking into other parts of the ignition. If anybody has any recommendations on coils, points, etc. please don’t hesitate to leave a response.

is there something wrong with the coils?
if there all working i would simply keep them
as far as the coils go from what i can understand there is only limited testing you can do realy i checked mine out and the left side was dead.
the bike was [and still is] a questionable project . so i dint want to invest on the replacement parts,
after a bit of searching i found that the yamaha xt600 ones are a close match, so for £6.93 each i went for

from what i rember one of the spade connections had to be bent slightly and spaced it a little higher off the aluminium bracket so it all cleared , and i also moved the hanger for the condenser to make it all fit nice and snug. and it does
and creates a good spark.
[will remove and take better photos. if it will help you .?]
but it took more time to figure it out and about 20min building it up
its a cheep option if you need it any way
but do you need to replace it ?

221 - 240 of 286 Posts