Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Just to be my normal obstinate self, THAT looks to be a pair of SOHC cylinders.....
My definition of DOHC requires separate camshafts for intake and exhaust....LOL...
:lol: :lol: :lol: Steve

I wish we had a closer, better side view of the heads.....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
Just to be my normal obstinate self, THAT looks to be a pair of SOHC cylinders.....
My definition of DOHC requires separate camshafts for intake and exhaust....LOL...
:lol: :lol: :lol: Steve

I wish we had a closer, better side view of the heads.....
Party Pooper - it does have dual (two) cams......

I'd ride it if it had brakes - 45 hp is freakin' awesome in 1915.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Agreed...But brakes would probably tear out those skinny spokes....
I do love the bare-bones mechanicals of the early engines... Here's one of my favorites.... A 1923 8 valve Harley.......

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
66Sprint said:
I do love the bare-bones mechanicals of the early engines... Here's one of my favorites.... A 1923 8 valve Harley.......
I do love the simplicity of the early engines, this Thor had a relationship with Indian i believe although a side valve (hard to see but may even be IOE) the design is simply elegant and like the Harley just beautiful.

I've been lucky enough to rebuild several vintage aircraft engines and am always amased at the technology and pure craftsmanship of these early engine builders. The technology flowed up and down from the auto industry to the aviation industry more so than today which is a shame :(

rod from OZ

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
tbpmusic said:
A 1915 board racer, DOHC cam, 45 hp !!!!
Sold for $520,000........
Note that there is no drive chain fitted. Must be a safety thing (for the collector) as with no clutch and only a kill switch to control braking once fired she'd be fun fun fun and total comitment :lol: :lol: And he could start the engine at first light as an alarm clock :D sure beats a roster.

rod from OZ :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
The Cyclone top end simply beautiful :D :D :D

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
do u think it really makes 45 hp? seems really high for such a vintage piece.
They are really neat though....must be a gear driven cam??(in the pipe)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Rod
Thor made motorcycle parts. If I remember correctly early Indians used Thor engines. Thor also sold parts to other manufactures. At some point Thor started making Thor motorcycles for sale to the public. That was not a problem as Thor already made all the parts.
I have a couple of electric grinders that I believe were made by successors of the Thor company that made the motorcycles.
TomC in Ohio
Rod Said
"I do love the simplicity of the early engines, this Thor had a relationship with Indian i believe although a side valve (hard to see but may even be IOE) the design is simply elegant and like the Harley just beautiful. "

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yeah, the Cyclone is a sohc engine, but is (as said) quite a piece of work. Here's another shot of one

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gentlemen, for your edification, the first DOHC motorcycle, which happened to be a twin (a parallel twin at that) was the Peugeot '500M' of 1914. Yep, twin cylinders, twin cams, and four valves per cylinder; nothing is new! It was produced developed in very limited numbers by Peugeot until ca 1920, and none survived, but there is a replica in France, just completed (Apr. 2011).[attachment=0:18c1c9zm]Peugeot.Pean.14.dohc-1.jpg[/attachment:18c1c9zm]

See this short history of the bike:
http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... art-1.html

Paul d'Orleans
http://www.theVintagent.com

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts