Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So things have been uber crazy with work and I have had no time to mess with the bike. I have completed everything as far as asthetics and rebuilt everything. I have taken it on a couple of short (5 miles) rides. I still need to fine tune the timing which I am doing tomorrow. I have replaced everything that needed to be other than carbs. They are clean and the float levels are set at 20mm. I am geting a little pop out of the right cylinder only if I rev the bike to around 2,500 to 3,500 (timing). The weird thing that is happening is that if I start it up it will idle pretty much fine but as soon as I stand the bike upright off the side stand it will die immediatly. Odd. Also if I try to ride it down the road lately it will act as if it is running out of gas. I know since I had everything powder caoted as far as the frame I had a bit of a bad ground. I believe I fixed that. It still has gas in the lines (they're clear). Once it dies it will not start again for a while. I am going to check the timing tomorrow. I am also going to tear the carbs back off and see if they are clean. Any other thoughts so I can go in looking at as much as possible. The thing that confused me is that I have ridden it for about 5 miles 3 times. It had a little oil leak in the points cover so I had to pull that off and correct it. Afterwards I have timed it and tried to ride it but only 2 times and it won't even make it down the street. Thanks for any insight and I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. Great compresion.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
The "dies when you take it off the sidestand" sounds like the float levels are incorrect, allowing it to flood out when the bike is level....It could also be the float bowl gasket projects in a bit and "catches' the float when the bike is vertical.....I'd check that and the bowls for grit first....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rights side float was sticking against the gasket. I was also leaning more toward 18 or 19mm rather than 20. Fixed that today. Took it for a quick spin and seems good. Once I get back home I'm going to timing light it and hopefully all will be good.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Glad to hear it!....Fixing these things over the 'net is often frustrating...Glad I got the correct diagnosis for you..... :D Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts