Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this CM400e about six weeks ago. My son got the motorcycle bug and I wanted a project for us to work on together and teach him to ride on. I found this bike that was rideable but needed some love. I'm not really fond of "cruiser" style bikes, but the CM400 is OK. But I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with this. Should I bring it back to near-original or do something else? After riding it a little I found that it isn't comfortable. I'm fairly tall and have back problems, and I just don't fit well on the bike. The small seat and the semi-upright seating position hurt my back after about 5 to 10 miles. That decided it. A semi-cafe racer modification.

Since I will do most of the work while riding it daily, there won't be any extensive work done. Each weekend I will try to do a little to it. Nothing fancy like most of the builds here. Not really a cafe racer, but close. While riding it daily. Hence the name, Diner Daily.

I'm not sure where this will lead, exactly. Time will tell. The seat and handlebars will be first so I can ride comfortably. Here's what I'm starting with.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That bike looks like it's in very good condition. You'll need a good FSM. PM sent.
Don't think a cafe style bike will be better for your back. Probably worse.
When my back is acting up, I always prefer my '79 CM400T to the ZX14.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
I totally agree with Ted. The CB bars are much better ergonomically. Here's my 79 CM 400 with CB550 bars on it. I find it very comfortable and I have more control and feel.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Here's another....

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. That bike looks like it's in very good condition. You'll need a good FSM. PM sent.
Don't think a cafe style bike will be better for your back. Probably worse.
When my back is acting up, I always prefer my '79 CM400T to the ZX14.
The bike is in good, but not great shape. Mostly lots of little things (isn't it always?)
My back troubles are, uh, odd. Turns out that a slightly leaned forward, mild sports bike posture, is most comfortable for me. On this seat my longish frame forces me to sit up on the passenger seat to tolerate more than about ten miles. My VF1000R was quite comfortable, even on long trips. Don't know how far cafe-ish I will go. Partway, at least. More a Diner than a cafe -- a bit more for the older set like myself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I totally agree with Ted. The CB bars are much better ergonomically. Here's my 79 CM 400 with CB550 bars on it. I find it very comfortable and I have more control and feel.

View attachment 189554

Here's another....

View attachment 189562
CB bars is actually what I'm planning at first. My son has a CB400 and I think those bars with a higher, flatter seat that I can scoot back on will work well. I might try a straight bar later. Clip-ons might be too much, though. We shall see. Bars are cheap enough on ebay.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Best thing I ever did was change the original 'wrap around' bars for the CB bars. (I have some back troubles myself ... crushed spine, vertebraes fused, 4" shorter now in the torso...)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Motorcycle I used cb bars and seats on my 79 and 81 cm400 bikes.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Very slight had to slot the bolt holes in the latches,used a dremmel tool fits like a glove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts