Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so i'm riding a '92 CB250, she has 27,000 miles logged, and is still running strong with no issues. I bought it with 24,000 miles. i cant speak for how it was taken care of before i owned it, but i am very careful with how i take care of the engine now. Regular oil changes with Actevo Synthetic oils, keeping the rpms out of the red as much as possible, conscious of not letting her run too hot (especially with the hot weather we've been having recently in my area). All that being said, i still ride as much as possible and open her up and have fun doing it! I just want my bike to last as long as possible. Ive been looking at engines recently, and it seems that since i cant find anyone who sells remanufactured 250cc Honda engines, my options are limited to buying used engines with low miles. I should point out that im looking because this bike was my first bike ever, and while i fully intend to have more bikes, i will always keep this 250 (guess im sentimental), and i would'nt mind having a newer engine on the shelf ready for the day my current engine goes kaput. Ebay has some reasonable options, and i also kinda wanna buy one to rebuild myself, thereby effectively giving me a "brand new" engine all together. I do all my own work, so an engine rebuild would be a blast.

I guess my question for all you CB and Rebel riders out there is: How long can I expect an air cooled engine that is well cared for to last? 50,000 miles? 100,000 miles? I'd love to hear how many miles are racked up on your machines thus far! Have you had any minor or major mechanical issues to deal with yet?

Thanks for taking the time, cheers!
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

"For me, there's only the broken road... But I'll always remember..."

·
Registered
635 Posts
My 400N has just clocked 58k and my CB250RS 45k so you have a long way to go. Most important thing is to change the oil and clean the filter regularly.
Nigel.

Reactions: Captnorm30

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Tachometer Speedometer Measuring instrument Gauge Car
Gauge Tachometer Speedometer Measuring instrument Auto part
Gauge Speedometer Tachometer Measuring instrument Auto part

It's possible to put a few clicks on the CM400's, I know.

Reactions: Captnorm30

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Properly maintained and operated there's really no reason the engine shouldn't go to 100K. It's the lack of maintenance that kills most of the running ones, the parked ones are slowly rotting away. Correct operation is to use the entire rpm band but don't lug the engine, too high a gear and low rpm, or run at high rpm consistently. Running in the 4-7,000 rpm range is good for most on these engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts