Honda Twins banner

the cb 400t project?

898 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jake a 
#1 ·
so ive just joined over on new member intro's, and as said will be doing a quick build log.
i did plan on starting this log 6 months ago but some personal life bs got in the way.
so any way the bike was given to me by my brother , it was given to him,.
my brother didnt touch it for a year , just gave to me about a year ago,
heres a pic of the daggy old girl when i got it, still in dads truck
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

straight away i started tearing it down as the key was lost, and the head gasket looked to be leaking, and the whole bike needed a mechanical and cosmetic refresh.
i didnt have a bike licence, or learners permit even and was kind of low on funds at the time.
ive already completed a lot of the tear down work and have painted frame in a good quality rattle can satin black.
unfortunately ive lost a lot of pics somehow so this build log will be more or less just the build.
ive also got the learners permit now (2 day course and 500 aussie bucks) and am really keen to get back on the road after 20 yrs. i kind of wish id just done the minimal at to get it running and registered bu too late now and the custom bike tradition has run through my blood since i was born. (the old man had a show winning hd panhead rigid bobber when i was growing up among other bikes).
anyway heres a few pics of the tank that my dad had to improve,
Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Hood Car

Red Fuel tank

Brass instrument Metal

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive wheel system Auto part

tig welde the panel down filled lock grafted in a sportster thread for this lowbrow tracker cap.

See less See more
#5 ·
got a bit more done over the weekend. we driled out the spot welds because we were going to take one side of the shock mount of and- graft the tube in then put the side back on.
my dad then decided bit overkill so he just cut the top of the box section open, and graft the tube to the top.
anyway it went pretty good.
Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Spoke

its only tacked on ( needs full weld done and grind off )but i had to push it out and take a photo
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Bicycle Motorcycle

#6 ·
Nice work. It's great to see an unloved bike getting all this attention. I hate seeing it happen to a pretty stock one, but you are doing this bike a favor and bringing it back to life.

#7 ·
Looks good there, a little different than what you normally see done. I like your's better. You should look at cross bracing the hoop, the shocks will actually cause flex at the upper mounts, be sure to check tire clearance in full compression when doing this.

#8 ·
some update pics. long overdue.
rear guard mounted.
i sourced a later model twin piston front brake caliper last year and have rebuilt it with new seals and pistons. also painted it up.
the frame loop is all welded, painted. i didnt get any close up pics but will next time im at my dads workshop.
ive also placed the motor back in the frame
View attachment 225682
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire Chopper

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.