Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I just joined the forum as I recently picked up a working amazingly near-stock 1984 cb450sc with newly timed carbs, new chain+sprockets, tires, etc at 33KM.

I know exactly what I want to do with it, but given that this model wasn't released in the US (i'm in Canada), there is limited information on it, even the owner's manual I found of these nighthawks excludes the 1984. So I don't even know where to look.

Did a little bit of research but given some of you have dealt with customizing a 450sc in the past I just wanted to ask a few questions.

-- How do I shift the headlight + turn signals further down on the bike? Do I have to buy new forks or is there a mounting bracket I can use instead? I don't mind if it's ugly as I want to add a bullet fairing anyway to hide it all up.

-- The gas tank looks very odd to me. I don't like it at all and has a couple dents in them that seem difficult to fix. I want to replace it with a CB400F tank (or something else, I've read a couple people do it) but I don't know if it's a perfect fit to just swap and install. Are all gas tanks different sizes or do some have compatibility? When I do replace the gas tank, I want to have the same key matching with the ignition. Can I just simply remove my gas cap and put it on the new tank or can I buy a gas cap with the matching lock given that I have the 3-digit alphanumeric key code?

-- The original seat was replaced (damaged) with a new seat cover and It's hideous. Can I just replace the seat cover with a cafe style seat or do I have to get the whole thing replaced? I am going to have a passenger with me most of the time so I want a seat that will also fit that. Should I ditch the stock fender?

I don't want to mess with customizing the workings of the bike since I'm only going for an aesthetic change, and anything related to soldering or welding is out of my knowledge.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Fuel tank
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire
Vehicle Motorcycle Bicycle handlebar Car Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
As soon as you mentioned café it changed everything. The Nighthawk series was intended to be a combination sport and cruiser-styled bike of its era with the spoiler-like tail section and a gas tank that blended into the sidecovers to give the bodywork appearance with lines that blend into the tail section... I have no idea if the CB400F tank will fit, but I'm guessing it probably won't without some modifying of mounts that would likely require a level of fabrication and the tunnel might not fit the frame either without mods. turning common-styled old naked versions of Hondas like the 450s, 350s, 200s and 175s isn't too difficult but a bike with built-in lines and shapes like this one is not going to be as easy. To get the front end as low as the average café bike would require about 2" to 3" of fork drop (up in the clamps) and as soon as you change the tank, the sidecovers aren't going to line up with anything anymore, and the seat is designed to fit the contour of the stock frame as well... it would be almost as difficult as me trying to café my '84 V65

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The 83 model apparently carried through 84 so the bike you have may have been built in 83 but first sold and titled in 84 (don't know just how that works in Canada). In any case, when you're looking for parts, 83 is likely the model you're looking for.

I'd suggest you ride the bike as is for a time. You'll find things you like just the way you are and may find that you don't need to get all that carried away to make it perfect.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
+1 on J-T's comment. It would be a shame to see that beauty go under the knife.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That's a nice original bike, it will continue to climb in value as an original. The "Cafe Racers" fad is rendering worthless hundreds of vintage bikes, un-hacked survivors are becoming rare and climbing in value. Spend your money on things that will make the bike better to ride, suspension, tires, brake system. A great bike to ride is truly beautiful, the overwhelming majority of cafe racers are not worth riding.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
First off, welcome aboard.
PM sent regarding the 1982 CB450SC parts fiche in the library. I don't have a specific FSM for that year/country/model.
You mention riding 2 up, you plus passenger, and cafe seat together. You'll need to decide which one since they are opposites.
The tank will be problematic. 1) it's a true bolt on tank instead of the usual rubber puck front mount and single rear mount bolt and 2) the tunnel of the tank is wider than normal due to the frame design. The mount issue is easier to deal with than the tunnel problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts