Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to publicly thank Bill for helping me solve a problem that was starting to drive me crazy.

My wiring is pretty much done and I was verifying that everything works correctly. In the process I replace almost all the connectors and vinyl sheathing. I have a Cheltons manual that I use for reference and I like the wiring diagram since it's in color. Almost everything was working correctly except for the electric starter and the horn. I checked connections, ground wires and verified continuity through all the wires to try and track down the problem.

I like the Cheltons diagram due to the color coding but it's lacking when showing the connections.

Quite some time ago Bill sent me a CD with a bunch of manuals and other data on it. I review it from time to time since it's original factory stuff but I haven't had the chance to get it printed yet. Bill took the time annotate the manual with his experiences as a Honda mechanic and there is some good tips, tricks and ideas in there. I opened the CD to view the wiring diagram to see if there was something I missed. The factory diagram, while not in color, is very good and shows all the connections. I was looking it over and saw the little red annotation square and took a look at it. Right there as I hovered over the red square, Bill writes:

• Both the horn button and the starter button are simply paths to ground, via the handlebars. The devices are always hot on one side, and just need a ground to activate.
    If the handlebars don't ground properly, try running a wire from any green wire or grounded bolt to the handlbar mounts.

Now, I think to myself, this isn't my first rodeo but it makes a lot of sense and I did paint the top triple and handlebar clamps that hold the bars and provide the ground path. So I take a piece of jumper wire and connect the switch gear screw to a pinch bolts and BINGO everything is working now.

Sometimes, late at night when you're frustrated, it just takes a second set of eyes. Or, in this case, an annotated manual.

Thanks Bill.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Thanks, Mike.

Of course the starter button logic changed a bit later on, when the headlight-all-the-time law came into effect.
But the bars still need to ground.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've seen the same on xs650's, horn, starter wouldn't work unless you pulled the clutch, it would make a ground then through the cable :lol: (safety feature?)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts