Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of doing the electronics on my 450k5 cafe build. I wanted to test the old handlebar control switches prior to wiring them in because they look a littlle suspect. I was able to test the switches for the turn signals, kill switch and headlight (on,off,hi-lo) and brake lever button switch for the front shoe type brake. (cl hub)
I was not able to figure out a way to test the horn and starter.
After some thought, I figure it might be possible to probe the test light into the back of the botton switches and complete a circuit by creating a loop that breaks at the switch. Tight area and delicate switches.
Any known method for the single wire button switches?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Set meter to read continuity...... one probe to wire, one to ground...pushing button closes the circuit....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my test light is'nt high tech enough.
I'll take them to work and use the meter on them. Thanks for the help. I try not to use the spark or heat method of wiring (any more) :lol:

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
A light would be ok to indicate continuity, what it won't tell you is the resistance. If its high, you can easlilly lose voltage on a low voltage (such as 12v) supply, but still show a flow by the bulb lighting up.
I would use either a digital meter on continuity or even check on resistance. Then I am lucky enough to have a Fluke meter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts