Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easy way to test a starter solenoid? I have my bike torn down to the frame. Can I test the solenoid while it is disconnected from the battery?

I did a search but a lot of the tests seemed to require the solenoid to be connected to the battery and bike. I also was not sure about some of the instructions and I didn't want to fry my sole or else I woulda connected it to battery and tested it.

So can someone tell me how to test it?

Thx

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
bk69cb350 said:
Is there an easy way to test a starter solenoid? I have my bike torn down to the frame. Can I test the solenoid while it is disconnected from the battery?

I did a search but a lot of the tests seemed to require the solenoid to be connected to the battery and bike. I also was not sure about some of the instructions and I didn't want to fry my sole or else I woulda connected it to battery and tested it.

So can someone tell me how to test it?

Thx
The only way I know is to put 12v (it could be from a batter charger or car battery) to the two wires coming off the selonoid then check (using an multimeter) if there is a short between the two large posts (it should be open with no voltage connected to the small wires). When you apply 12v to the small wires you should hear it click too.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If you have an ohm-meter, connect it to the two large posts on the solenoid. It should read infinite resistance.

Connect 12 volts (preferably from a battery) to the 2 small wires.

The solenoid should click and the ohmeter should go to zero (or thereabouts)

Same thing Mike said, just using different words.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx, I get the clicking when I attach the 12volt, but no reading when I attach the ohm meter.

I am assuming the solenoid is fine and my starter motor is my only issue. I'll test again after I put the bike together again and I still have issues. I bought a used working starter motor so I am hoping that will resolve my starting issues.

Thx all.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Use some car jumpers from your battery and touch the hot lead to the starter end of the cable - if it spins, the starter is ok.
Make sure to use car jumpers, as the starter pulls about 30-40 amps, and that will melt lesser cables.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
bk69cb350 said:
Thx, I get the clicking when I attach the 12volt, but no reading when I attach the ohm meter.

I am assuming the solenoid is fine and my starter motor is my only issue. I'll test again after I put the bike together again and I still have issues. I bought a used working starter motor so I am hoping that will resolve my starting issues.

Thx all.
Just to be clear, are you saying you get no reading (open) on the ohm meter WHEN you attach the 12v to the 2 wires?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The contacts inside the solenoids get burnt and/or corroded, and even though it "clicks" it doesn't close the circuit to the starter....I believe this is your situation based on the lack of Ohm-meter reading..... A new solenoid is the best cure, but some have disassembled and cleaned/dressed the contacts sucessfully.....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
66Sprint said:
The contacts inside the solenoids get burnt and/or corroded, and even though it "clicks" it doesn't close the circuit to the starter....I believe this is your situation based on the lack of Ohm-meter reading..... A new solenoid is the best cure, but some have disassembled and cleaned/dressed the contacts sucessfully.....
That's what I was trying to get at. Obviously it's suppose to "open" with no power applied but I couldn't be clear when he was getting the open reading, 12v on/off? Usually "clicky" mean worky but not always.

·
Registered
608 Posts
± polarity needs to be right on the connections, solenoid plunger could be pushing away instead of pulling in to make contact acrossed the starter switch connectors

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Sorry jayel.....
There is NO positive/negative polarity on the actuating coil (lighter gauge wires)...With both lighter gauge wires unplugged from the harness, it's simply an electro-magnetic coil, and as long as both wires are connected to opposite battery terminals, it will actuate if the unit is good.....
Plunger directionality is determined by physical positioning of the steel mass (plunger)inside the unit... It will ALWAYS be drawn towards the coil center when energized, regardless of current directionality......

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Steve is correct, all relays work like this.
In later models, the starter button was changed from a simple grounding switch to one that worked in "reverse of this - the wires at the solenoid were simply switched for this.

·
Registered
363 Posts
once relay contacts get burnt, there is little you can do about it, I have had luck taking them apart and dressing the contactor points, but it is a temporary fix once you remove the nickel? point coating they fail very quickly again. it is a little tricky to diagnose as the contact usually conducts some electricity, (ohm reader will look fine) but fails under load. I would with everything hooked up and bike in nuetral try carefully shorting the two large terminals, if the starter cranks there is something wrong with your solenoid or your start switch circuit. also try thumbing the start switch and see if the solenoid clicks, this will tell you if the start switch circuit is working.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have had a similar problem. i push the starter button and the solenoid clicks once. attached jumper from battery positive directly to starter= starter spins. replaced solenoid still same problem. ideas?

versuspop

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad cable either between the batt and solenoid or between there and the starter, pull and clean your connections, and try shorting the two large solenoid terminals together, if cables are good, it should spin starter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok so I know this post is 4 years old hopefully someone can help me. Im not getting any power anywhere no lights anything. I hooked up 12 volts to the solenoid and it clicks. whats my next step?

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
How about an introduction and put the make and model (year too) in a signature....

Are you asking about a CB350 or CB360???? Some bikes ground the solenoid to start, some supply 12V, so we need the year and model.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

12V comes from the battery + and goes to the ignition switch....the fairly large ground wire goes from the Battery (-) to the motor mont on some bikes...is the ground connected to the frame? Trace 12V from the battery (is the battery charged?) to the red wire on the ignition switch....

Find out this then update us with make and model, and we can help you more....Also, no crime in starting your own, new thread...:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sorry! its a 72 CB350 just bought it on sunday! I have a wiring diagram I actually have the service manual up in a separate window right now

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thought this would be the best place to put this.

I tested the starter solenoid as directed, and it seemed to work OK.....but THE BODY OF THE SOLENOID GOT REALLY HOT DURING TESTING.

I think I'll replace the solenoid to be safe, but I'm just wondering if this is normal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts