Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i start this thing without any exhaust, even headers, attached?

i'm still waiting on my exhaust clamp collar pieces.

i'm sure the mixture will be off, just curious if it will do any other damage, overheat, etc.

it'll probably just be a test firing.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
You can but I wouldn't. As you say your carburetion will be all over the place and the flames out of the ports
could be dangerous. You wouldn't be able to hear any disasterous noises the engine may be makeing.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Back in the 60's we'd start the engine without header pipes to observe the color of the flame. It gave you an indication of the fuel mixture. But it is way WAY loud.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Sometimes, after doing a lot of work on a motor, you just want to start it and see if it runs. In this case, you can probably start it up and even check the timing with a light. You'll probably find that it's much to loud to run very long nor would you want to run it very long that way. You can check for oil pressure but other than the motivation factor, there is not much else that can be accomplished, but I don't discount the motivation factor.

With that said, here is what CAN happen if you start a homebuilt aircraft without the wings attached and run the engine up to "check it out". This particular kit airplane is called a Lancair IV. It's a very expensive plane and engine combination probably up in the $150K (or more) range at this stage of development. Many people will tell you not to start an aircraft engine without the wings attached and this video will show you what can happen.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone. i got the exhaust collar things yesterday, so i should be good to go.

on the CL the exhaust goes a bit above the alternator cover and the clutch cable cover.

i didn't want to have to close the clutch cover up before starting it, but that thing is a major pain to put on after the exhaust is on.

but all my covers are back on now, and the exhaust is going on this afternoon. then i just have to plumb the carbs and i'll try and start it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts