Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’ve been slowly getting all the kinks worked out on this old bike.. took it for its first little ride around the block last weekend. Definitely still needs some tuning, but for the meantime seemed to running ok..

So I then went for a quick spin yesterday and the clutch cable started acting up.. I’d squeeze it in and it wouldn’t release.. but it was definitely an old crusty cable, so today I figured I’d install a new clutch cable that I’ve had.. I pulled the clutch cover off on the left side, cleaned everything up, and installed the new cable. Everything seemed to go pretty smooth. However when it was all done I went to start it but now it’s making this dreadful knocking/rattling noise, sounds like it’s coming from the right crankcase.. Any correlation here? Replace clutch cable, on left side of bike, knocking on right side? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
My guess would be some sort of failure in the rt crankcase... And they may be part of the reason your clutch wasn't releasing. Maybe one of the fingers on the basket broke?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
If it was all good before you opened it up and now it isn't - well...

Get the Manual and a picture of the parts and how they go together and open it back up and make sure you put it all back right.
Did you put the little 5mm ball bearing in right?

Clutch Adjustments are one of the easiest things to get wrong.
The manual directions MUST be followed EXACTLY or it will not come out right.

The sequence for making each adjustment MUST be follwed in perfect order.

Once you do it right you can do it right forever.

The end of the clutch push rod could be bouncing around back and forth or you have something hitting the front sprocket/chain.
There is a good chance when you open it back up you will find seomehting got chewed up.

Reactions: Bill H

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Does the sound change when you pull in the clutch lever?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it was all good before you opened it up and now it isn't - well...

Get the Manual and a picture of the parts and how they go together and open it back up and make sure you put it all back right.
Did you put the little 5mm ball bearing in right?

Clutch Adjustments are one of the easiest things to get wrong.
The manual directions MUST be followed EXACTLY or it will not come out right.

The sequence for making each adjustment MUST be follwed in perfect order.

Once you do it right you can do it right forever.

The end of the clutch push rod could be bouncing around back and forth or you have something hitting the front sprocket/chain.
There is a good chance when you open it back up you will find seomehting got chewed up.
Ok well now you got me thinking... when I opened the clutch cover the little disc with 3 ball bearings came out. I looked at a diagram for how that’s supposed to sit in there, between the 2 other pieces but maybe I got it wrong? Does anyone have a clear diagram for this? Also I slightly bumped the pushrod at some point, it went about half an inch in, but I just pulled it back out.. that wouldn’t have caused anything right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts