Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to working on my 66. Got the cams installed, cam chain and cams timed ( I've memorized Bill's tutorial). I sure like that familar "whoosh" of air as I turned the engine over, and no binding/grinding or other weird noises.

Going to install the cam chain tensioner and adjust the tappets. I have the page from Bill's CD about tappet adjustment, but curious about my covers, which have a + and- on them.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
gaillarry said:
Finally got around to working on my 66. Got the cams installed, cam chain and cams timed ( I've memorized Bill's tutorial). I sure like that familar "whoosh" of air as I turned the engine over, and no binding/grinding or other weird noises.

Going to install the cam chain tensioner and adjust the tappets. I have the page from Bill's CD about tappet adjustment, but curious about my covers, which have a + and- on them.

Your tappet covers??

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a feeler gauge that is close to whats needed:

.003 then below it .076mm

I presume this will work for the adjustments?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Specs are .0012 inches " between cam and follower...This actually represents a larger gap at the valve stem due to the difference in "lever length".....(about a 2.4/1 factor)
...I use a .0015" feeler. although most commonly use .002"...
...Your .003" will yield a noisy(er), less efficient engine.....JMHO

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I use 2 thou feeler gauge.You usually find when you tighten the locknut in front of washer(Not shown in your'e pic) that even holding the slot with a screwdriver in the other hand that things tend to tighten up a bit -so recheck clearances again after youv';e tightened.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts