Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just wanted to post this because it rattled my brain for way too long.

I used to have this problem with my CB450, where it'd run great for a little while but then soon enough into my ride it would start to sputter and lose power on my 3/4 to full throttle range. I figured it was jetting, since I've got slightly modified exhaust and pod filters.

So I tried different jet sizes, many many times... To no avail.

It would always do the same thing, run great at first but then after a bit of riding it would do the same thing.

Then I thought my battery might be the culprit, since I'd switched out to a 4LBS battery which is the smallest my work sells. So I started getting my stock battery setup ready to go back on.

Later in the week on my ride into work, I found that the problem was happening again. I pulled over to inspect the bike for something, I didn't know what. That's when I saw that my choke lever on my carb was closed about half way, so I opened it all the way and rode on, my problem was fixed! It rode great and never lost top end power! I figured it was vibration causing the lever to close over time, so I watched it closely and it never moved. This was really bothering me at this point, so I just continued on into work. I kept my eye on the choke lever the whole way in when I realized my tall riding boots were just the right height that they hit the choke lever perfectly on some of my down shifts!

I felt SO stupid :oops:

So anyways, problem solved. I rubberband the lever open now and have plans to dremel the lever shorter so that my boots don't hit it.

Thought this would help me feel better about wasting all that time on such a simple problem haha. Or maybe I just needed to vent...

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
LOL, I've had issues like that before, can be frustrating to find when you're the cause instead of the bike. :D Good work on the investigation.

Last week I was going to take the alternator cover off my KZ to check something. Had the bolts half loosened when I decided not to bother. Forgot to tighten the bolts up again. When riding the following day I could hear cats coming out of the engine when I rev it, sounded just like a cat purring. Turned out the cover was loose and was resonating. Everything else was going through my mind (i.e. crankshaft, bearings, etc.). Always good to find such simple solutions but I felt like an idiot anyway. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts