Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I had bought a CL175 way back with the intention of taking it to the beach with me when I go on my surf trips. However I got lucky and ended up getting another CL175 that is much nicer. I would love to bring it with, use it to ride to the store and hit the sand dunes. maybe even teach some friends how to ride. That was the intention with the original beater 175 that I bought.

IMG_6313.jpg
IMG_6314.jpg

Anyways, I imagine that sitting outside for 2-3 nights at a time, with the pacific ocean only 300' away.. Everything is covered with a fine layer of dew in the mornings, and of course, it's salt water. I worry that even if no extreme corrosion occurred there could still be smaller things that I wouldn't notice but would affect the bike, like corrosion on cable and spokes etc. Am I overreacting? I know people must live near the beach and own bikes. I just don't want to mess up a perfectly nice bike.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well, the dew itself isn't salt water, don't think.
But being so near the beach you can expect lots of corrosion for sure - everything on the bike gets affected, from spokes to upholstery.....

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True but it's not dew like you have on the grass in the morning. More like the air there is just misty, the kind of mist that leaves your skin feeling tacky and salty. It's something that I really like about being at the coast but it's not something I'm sure will be good for my bike. Maybe I'll have to borrow parents' trail 90..

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
If you are really worried about it then just spray the bike down with fresh water each morning.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I may have to take my parents' trail 90. I think the sand would be an issue as well.

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read about using that or similar products on forums geared toward bicycles, have you personally tried it?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts