Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.k. i am not much of a wrencher. i have a beater ko cb450 with some long forks on it. i got a decent pair and want to install. i also need to remove the top aluminum triple clamp and replace. do i have to take everything apart ? can i leave the bottom of the triple tree and headlight and ears ? does that steering dampner have to come off as well ? i just don't want to break anything. thanks, chris

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You can leave the bottom clamp and stem in place, but everything else comes off.
The fork ears may or may not stay put for you - if they do, that's cool.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the steering dampner disassembles from underneath, and is unscrewed, and pulled up ? after that it is all the bolts on top of the triple tree ? also, when i remove the bolts at the top of the forks, the big chrome one's will the forks pull out through the black sleeves, or do the sleeves get removed also ? thanks much, c

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
brown72 said:
so the steering dampner disassembles from underneath, and is unscrewed, and pulled up ? after that it is all the bolts on top of the triple tree ? also, when i remove the bolts at the top of the forks, the big chrome one's will the forks pull out through the black sleeves, or do the sleeves get removed also ? thanks much, c
Correct with the damper.
Bomber forks won't pull up through the top clamp, like on K3 and later models.
The top fork bolt goes through the top clamp to the fork.

If you just want to get the forks off you don't even need to remove the top clamp or damper or nothin'.
Just loosen the top fork bolts, then the bottom clamp pinch bolts.
Best to have the wheel off and out of the way, it may be a struggle......if you're lucky you'll be able to pull and wiggle the tubes out clean.

You need to study the fiche - it will make sense of what you're seeing......
http://www.crotchrocket.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/7/Honda.aspx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again, i think i got it. but if i want to replace the top, shiny triple clamp, the one the steering damper is part of, i first have to go underneath and remove the damper bits ? pin, etc...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
brown72 said:
thanks again, i think i got it. but if i want to replace the top, shiny triple clamp, the one the steering damper is part of, i first have to go underneath and remove the damper bits ? pin, etc...
Yeah, sorry.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts