Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a ‘75 CL360 and the tachometer isn’t working. When I turn it on it shows about 1,000 rpm but no matter how the engine is revved (stationary in neutral or on the road), the gauge doesn’t move. I don’t really understand how the system works to connect engine to gauge, so I figured I’d ask before I blindly took it apart. How does it work? What are some steps I should take to figure out why I’m not getting rpm readings? Thank you!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The tachometer is driven by a cable that is connected to the tach drive from the engine
Check your cable to see if anything is binding and preventing it from turning freely. Check for cable breakage also. Lube the cable.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Site maintenance twice on a Wednesday!

The tach on all of our vintage twins is driven by a cable from the top of the engine - in the case of the 360 engine, the drive gear is in the cam cover. It sounds like the cable is okay and your tach is the problem, if the cable is turning the inner workings of the tach at all it should show more than idle speed when revved up

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If it's the tachometer itself that is the problem it won't be easy to fix. Well... Not without taking the whole thing apart anyway.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
You can remove the cable from the back of the tach. Not sure of the size but a square drive bit in an electric drill (run in reverse IIRC) will tell you if the tach itself is working.

A replacement could be the better option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts