Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i did some carb work on a 76 cb200t recently--new slow jets, new float needles and seats, adjusted floats, etc. it's all back together and the bike is running ok, but the idle is weak and, when idling, the bike sounds like it's about to stall. even getting it started up has been a struggle. if i use too much choke it won't start; too little choke and it starts, but requires that i keep the throttle open a bit while it 'warms up.' (that may be normal, i don't know.)

so, i think my problem is getting the fuel/air mixture just right and the idle screws just right. what i'm hoping is that somebody can help me make sense of the carburetor adjusting/synchronizing process. i've got a honda shop manual and a clymer (both say roughly the same thing), but i'm not sure that i'm making perfect sense of it. here's what i do (with the bike warmed up but then shut off):
1. seat the fuel/air mix screw then back out 1 1/4 turns
2. seat the throttle stop/idle screws, then back out 3 turns
3. start the bike
4. adjust the throttle stop/idle screws equally (turning them further out) until the idle speed drops to where it should be (about 1200-1400rpms). to obtain this idle i left the fuel/air mix screws alone (out 1 and 1/4) and wound up coming out with the throttle stop/idle screws about 4 full turns each. (the back pressure from the two exhaust pipes is even, too.)

does this sound right? does anybody have any good tips for going about the carb adjust/synchronizing process? am i looking in the wrong place--could the problem be something else?

thanks!
tony

·
Registered
20 Posts
First, let me say that I have very similar issues with my 1974 cb200, except that mine won't idle at all.
I have begun to suspect that my float heights may be too low, and/or the passages through the carburetor body are not fully clean. I will post results and probable causes if / when I get it fixed.

-Kenolds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts