1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Suzuki GZ250

Hey y'all,

My swingarm seems to be on the move.

I first noticed the "dirty" part of the rear tire was slightly off center. I chalked it up to that last turn into the driveway.

Then I could see that the tire was slightly off center to the left. Alignment seemed ok, measurement from the center of the pivot arm to the center of the axle were the same. The bike tracks straight; no pulling.

Today the tire scrubbed against the upper inside fender (there's a bit of tube framing up there). I think only when the shocks are compressed after a bump, but I can't be sure.

Can the swingarm be adjusted? Is this a shock absorber issue?

Any reply is appreciated, thanks.
IMG_20190323_183917.jpg IMG_20190323_184012.jpg IMG_20190323_183836.jpg
This post is for a 2006 Suzuki GZ250

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Not familiar with your bike but in the pictures it appears that the wheel is mounted closer to the left swingarm than to the right. Possibly some spacers were installed incorrectly? Does the rear sprocket line up with the front sprocket?

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Forget how it "looks"....Let's get some measurements.... Phone and I'll tell you the process.... 540-525-5199

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies.

I am sure the spacers are correct. The photos are from just after I put the rear tire assembly back together with the manual in hand. Regarding the sprocket alignment, I held a straight edge against the rear sprocket and the chain seemed to follow along with the straight edge. But I have no confidence that this confirms correct alignment. The chain is a little "clicky" and hugs the inside of the sprocket.

I bought this bike in February of 2018 in great condition with 2200 miles on it and have put another 6000 on it since then. I mounted the tires that are on it months ago and never noticed any misalignment before. As far as I know, this bike has never been in an accident or any such thing.

Early this morning, I swapped sides with the rear shocks, just to see if anything changed. It didn't.

I spoke to 66Sprint on the phone and he suggested a method to check alignment which I will do next.

I never realized how "petite" this bike was until I parked it next to the Hawk.

IMG_20190324_091937.jpg

Does this bike make my butt look big?

Screen-Shot-2013-04-22-at-8.13.33-PM.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Above

Tom Deluxe here. Ya -know most times the back end of a cycle that receives a hard knock,will bend or twist everything in unison, that is the swingarm and all things held solid by the axle. From pics it appears both shocks and the rest are off to the left to far. Possibly not,but tis something to consider.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts