Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying - still - to ressurect my 450 K1 and have replaced the swing arm bushes with "top-hat" bronze ones bought off e-bay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162443197121?ul_noapp=true

Although the listing doesn't say they fit the CB450, other offers, and the parts fiches I checked, showed the same part numbers for the CB750 and in his "My CB750 Book", Mark Parris says, "The swing arm pivot and support system came straight from the CB450 frame", so I reckoned these would fit.

Well they did - the length was a bit shorter that the ones removed, but I didn't think that would affect anything adversely. They slid nicely into the swing arm, freezer plus a bit of grease, and the pivot is a free sliding fit. I wondered if this was too free!

However when I put the whole assembly back on the bike, with the dust seal cap, and tightened up the bolt, there was considerable side to side play. And I mean considerable - a very discernable knock can be felt and the movement seen. The arm falls easily under it's own weight.

The thickness of the bronze bush shoulder compares favourably (it's thicker) with the thickness of the removed plastic bush that covers the felt washer (1.88mm vs 1.84). The pivot protudes from the end of the swing arm (0.9mm/2).

I've know that on CB750s loosening the engine mounting bolts makes it easier to remove the swing arm and presumably tightening them has the opposite affect; does the same apply to the 450? Thought I doubt it would make enough difference.

Have I missed something? Any advice is welcome.

Sean

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Trying - still - to ressurect my 450 K1 and have replaced the swing arm bushes with "top-hat" bronze ones bought off e-bay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162443197121?ul_noapp=true

Although the listing doesn't say they fit the CB450, other offers, and the parts fiches I checked, showed the same part numbers for the CB750 and in his "My CB750 Book", Mark Parris says, "The swing arm pivot and support system came straight from the CB450 frame", so I reckoned these would fit.

Well they did - the length was a bit shorter that the ones removed, but I didn't think that would affect anything adversely. They slid nicely into the swing arm, freezer plus a bit of grease, and the pivot is a free sliding fit. I wondered if this was too free!

However when I put the whole assembly back on the bike, with the dust seal cap, and tightened up the bolt, there was considerable side to side play. And I mean considerable - a very discernable knock can be felt and the movement seen. The arm falls easily under it's own weight.

The thickness of the bronze bush shoulder compares favourably (it's thicker) with the thickness of the removed plastic bush that covers the felt washer (1.88mm vs 1.84). The pivot protudes from the end of the swing arm (0.9mm/2).

I've know that on CB750s loosening the engine mounting bolts makes it easier to remove the swing arm and presumably tightening them has the opposite affect; does the same apply to the 450? Thought I doubt it would make enough difference.

Have I missed something? Any advice is welcome.

Sean

Are you sure that you torqued it down enough - that swingarm bolt takes more torque than anything else on a 450, you really need to crank it down.

As an aside, a bunch of models use that bushing - 450, 360, CBX, etc..........

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure that you torqued it down enough - that swingarm bolt takes more torque than anything else on a 450, you really need to crank it down.

As an aside, a bunch of models use that bushing - 450, 360, CBX, etc..........
Thanbks Bill,

My torque wrench goes to 50 ft/lbs, so I put it there and then a bit extra to get to the recommended 51-65. Even with a few more cranks, I'm not sure it woud take up all the slack, but I'll try it tomorrow and see.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the bronze bushes were supposed to be a improvement.

Reactions: 540nova

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Bill,

Good call. I went out this afternoon, without a torque wrench and wound it up as tight as I could. No movement now :p

A different, but related question:

I was looking at the grease nipples and noticed there was only one. On the other end of the bolt there was a small hole which looked like the nipple had been broken off - I assumed the set up was like the early 750s with one on each end. So I thought I'd drill it out, tap it and put in a new one.

However the bolt seems to be solid on that other end; I was down 1/2" before deciding to give up. So the question is, is the bolt only centre drilled from the one end?

Sean

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Hey Bill,

Good call. I went out this afternoon, without a torque wrench and wound it up as tight as I could. No movement now :p

A different, but related question:

I was looking at the grease nipples and noticed there was only one. On the other end of the bolt there was a small hole which looked like the nipple had been broken off - I assumed the set up was like the early 750s with one on each end. So I thought I'd drill it out, tap it and put in a new one.

However the bolt seems to be solid on that other end; I was down 1/2" before deciding to give up. So the question is, is the bolt only centre drilled from the one end?

Sean
There's only one nipple on a 450.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts