Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reposting from deep in my build thread, hoping to get some better visibility here (hope that's okay).

I went to install my swing arm the other night after a rebuild. I held it in place in the frame, and slid the pivot bolt in. I worked the pivot bolt in about half way by hand before it got stuck on me. Then I tried to remove it (check for dirt in the collar) but i couldn't get it out. I had to punch it out with a mallet and it resistedthe whole way.

I laid the long pivot bolt on the edge of a table table and rolled it to check if it was bent. It is very slightly bent. Nothing crazy, but I imagine this is what's locking it up in the frame hole and swing arm body.

Should I just hammer this thing into place and let it do it's job once in place? I can't imagine that would be so bad. Or should I take a chance with another used one on ebay? ...I would guess most of them are at least a little bent like this after 40+ years.

Thanks!
Phil

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Phil, it is hard to give advice without being there. My philosophy is everything should slide together with little persuasion. If all the parts are clean, lubricated and in good condition, they should fit together with little force. Exceptions are press fit bearing races such as head stock and wheel bearings. Also the bores for the bushings are straight and not damaged. If these conditions are met and you can see the pivot is bent I would try to get a better one.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Failing a better bolt, you may find a machine shop that can straighten the bent one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I feel like an idiot. Turns out the powder coater painted the inside of the holes for the pivot bolt in the swing arm. Thus the bad fit. Sanded that out by wrapping some 150 grit around a sharpie marker... Thought I should update everyone. Thank you all for the tips/advise, and I'm glad I didn't have to buy a new bolt.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I think that's a pretty common cause, not the first time I've heard of it. Congrats either way, maybe we should get a group ride going this spring?

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Yeah, powder coat is evil :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.