Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey y’all,

have been tinkering with a 70’ 350 for a few weeks that I just purchased. Have gotten it running really well other than 1 issue that is intermittent. Occasionally when coming to a stop the bike wants to hold revs around the 3-4K range and not let go. It seems that keeping it in gear until it slows to near idle speeds and then holding the clutch makes it occur less frequently. I’ve noticed revving it in neutral that the revs don’t drop back to idle nearly as quick as they probably should. Usually takes 2-3 seconds. The carbs are in good shape. I am running Pod filters. The throttle cable doesn’t seem to be sticking from what I can tell. My best guess is it might be a vacuum issue but I’m not certain where to start. Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Put a timing light on it to see if the spark advancer is working correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll check that out, thanks. It came with an electronic ignition system that I haven’t messed with yet

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bad valves can cause you to over adjust the idle screws to get an idle causing rpms hanging up, Check compression.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s a Charlie’s place kit. I don’t have a light to check the timing. Will have to have a friend help me out this week.

I checked the intake manifolds and they look good and soft with no cracks. It idled really nicely when I started it this morning. It wasn’t till it got good and warm that this problem started happening but it’s pretty much guaranteed to happen if I don’t slow the engine down from braking. If I rev past 2 at a standstill it will rise up to the 3-4K on its own. Once it warms up I don’t seem to have control of idle speed per the carb screws either. Wants to sit at 1.5 regardless of what I do

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had a drag race cam in my 350 and it would hang up like that. I removed the idle screws and held it at idle myself, cackling

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put a timing light on it to see if the spark advancer is working correctly.
what kind of electronic ignition?
great call on the advance guys. Took it out last night and realized it was kind of hanging up. Cleaned it up and adjusted the springs a bit and it ran like a clock on my way to work this morning. I’m gonna check the timing this week but I’m feeling good about it. Thank you!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So as it normally goes with anything vintage I solved one problem to find another. Now that it’s idling properly it seems to want to randomly cut off at stops at idle. I can hear an audible click when it shuts off and I can kick it right back over again and everything is fine. I checked the battery and voltage seems fine. Anyone experience this before?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts