Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Finally put the bike together. Took few rides, rear shocks leaking, found a post about replacement but front end is little bouncy, I had forks apart, cleaned everything put new seals and 15 wt fork oil using manual for capacity. Could it be too heavy oil? I’m not a little guy around 240 lbs, so figured heavy oil should be better.

·
Super Moderator
22,460 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got new shocks, rear feels better but front end still bouncy almost like a pogo stick feeling. Not sure what is causing this. New neck tapered bearings, no play in them, new tires with new tubes and balance beads in the tubes.

·
Super Moderator
22,460 Posts
Is the pogo effect speed related? I had a pair of tires that were causing this effect at 20-40 mph, after fighting thru everything on the suspension over 10K miles I finally tossed the almost new tires. No one could find any defects visually in the tires

·
Super Moderator
22,460 Posts
Time for your "slightly off-center sprocket" story Jim.......;);)
My $1000 front sprocket??? :eek: :eek:Moral of the story. Never buy that "good deal" of unknown manufacturer. In this case a front sprocket a local shop had laying around.
In 2014 I had gone thru the road bike completely prepping it for another cross country tour hitting the remaining lower 48 states I missed in 2011. Bearing, brakes, chain, sprockets, tires, Ignitech ignition, carbs, suspension, etc. Everything new or rebuilt. Shortly after taking off I encounter a pogo effect in the front end at 20-40 mph. Did a number of changes with fork oil, air pressures, shock settings, head bearings, etc on the road over the next couple of months trying to cure it. Even had a Metzler tire rep inspect the tires, had new ME888's on it. Probably had 30 different people look at it and offer suggestions. Then I hit Tail of the Dragon again and got bitten one more time. I suddenly got a snapping banging feel from the rear and stopped, only to find that the rear sprocket had come loose from the wheel. Actually the hub was worn away so the giant circlip came off.
10460725_10202421801281432_1601429618875553063_n.jpg
201_6474-001.JPG
So my best friend that lives in WV dispatched his son to pick me and the bike up in Ashville NC and get me north to his home/shop in Martinsburg. Fedex'd a spare wheel, axle, axle adjusters, brake plate from home, Redding CA. Son in law works for Fedex so cheap shipping. Local ordered new rear sprocket and chain, front looked good. Figured that was the cause of the pogo but no, it remained. Took off headed north and east, turned around in St. Johns, New Brunswick, Canada heading west. Made it to New Hampshire when I discovered the sprocket coming loose again. Rental truck used all the way back to Martinsburg WV, most of that $1000. Saved the wheel this time. Another rear sprocket and chain. Focused on why this was happening and started paying real close attention to the front sprocket. That's when I found the center was not centered, running elliptical and that the tooth section was mis-machined as well. Thick on one side causing the chain to tighten and thin on the other relaxing the chain.
201_6699 (1)-001.JPG
Now it should be noted that I religiously lube my chain every 300 miles of 2 tanks of fuel and adjust as needed. lube was typically done with the side cases on so the rear sprocket was barely visible.
Even the front sprocket didn't fix my pogo effect. Eventually while riding in Michigan I decided to toss the almost new Metzlers. Found a shop in Illinois that had a set of Michelin Commanders and instantly the pogo was gone.
Now for those that ask "Didn't you hear anything weird before the 1st failure?" I've been mostly deaf since 2004 until last year. So no I didn't hear anything. Now with the 2nd Cochlear Implant done 3 weeks ago I'm hearing all kinds of things.

·
Super Moderator
9,292 Posts
Man, quite the story Jim - glad you took the time to share it. Can't say I've ever seen a bad manufactured front sprocket before... especially leading to all of that. Wow

Hope all is back to normal with the post-surgery issues, and glad you're hearing things again :D

·
Super Moderator
22,460 Posts
The 2nd CI has made a vast improvement, now I get directional sound. Word/speech recognition seems to have decreased some but I'm working on training the other half of my brain to recognize that, hours spent each day listening to speech. Basic rehab of training the brain to hear again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pogoing is speed related, anything below 50 feel it between 50-60 smoothies out. I looked at rear tire and looks like it might be bead not seated right, I will try to break the bead and reseat it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, I am experiencing the same pogo effect on my slightly scrambler modified 82 CM 400.
Did you ever fix your pogo Alex?

I have checked and rechecked tires, shocks, even bought a new front rim, but no change.
I am running 19” K60 Heidenau front and 18” rear so I am suspecting that this could be the reason.

Will definitely check front and rear sprockets.

Any suggestions guys?

Ernst

·
Super Moderator
22,460 Posts
I'll suggest swapping out the rear tire first and see if that solves it, then the front if it doesn't. See if your local bike/tire stores have any old ones laying around to use temporarily.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, haven’t rode it for a bit. Took carbs apart again. I think I found the issue but haven’t been able to do anything yet. Looks like my rear tire is not seated perfectly in the bead. So when I spin rear tire it looks out of round. I will try to break the bead and reseat it and see what happens but first finish with carbs and seal the tank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@Longdistancerider. Thanks for the advice some weeks ago. Alex, Sorry to hear that your carbs are acting up.
I was able to persuade a local dealer to “lend” me a pair of normal road tires and it feels better. It has significantly reduced both the vibration/pogo feeling and the floating sensation. However talking to a mechanic (he also sells stuff) he mentioned that old suspensions, even after being serviced and have correct spring length etc, can get stiction and this might lead to what I have described. The suspension is kind of frozen and not reactive on straits especially when the surface is good and this will create a vibration/floating feeling in the bike.
He is recommending a set of progressive springs that will solve this without swapping the tires.

Sorry for the long story...any comments to his advice and how to get rid of this stiction?

·
Super Moderator
22,460 Posts
Progressive springs won't cure stiction but they do make the ride more pleasant especially if you have them front and rear. The suspension shouldn't be overly stiff. The rear should drop @1" or so when you sit on it and if you bounce it should move some. The front end should also be able to manually move up/down with some effort.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts