Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, brand new CA77 owner here. Also ride a 2007 Suzuki GS500F that's been stripped to an E.

I've read so many useful information on this site, which has helped me troubleshoot enough of the symptoms to arrive at this point. And I hope you guys can help point in the the right direction.

Here's the history of what I've gone through w "Mr. Wolf" (a la Pulp Fiction).

Bought the bike two weeks ago, and at the time, it ran fine, starts up well, either electric or kick.

Then on a cold, damp morning, I tried to start it...cranks, no fire. I can smell fuel out of the tailpipe. (45° F, dew on everything)
Next evening, tried again, being mindful not to flood the engine. Cranks, fires, runs rough. Tons of unburn fuel out of tailpipe.
Then Saturday morning, fair temperature(upper 50's°), cranks, fires, but only running on one cylinder (right).
Shut it off, checked the plugs, both totally fouled.
Spark test shows fire w screwdriver attached to caps, but no fire w lightly cleaned fouled plugs.
After a few hours of reading this and other sites, I pickup a new set of D8HA plugs.

Sunday (lower 50's°), new plugs shows good spark, so in they went. Boom! Instant success.
Drove around the block, runs a little rough, but serviable. Then...
It starts to not want on stay running. Messing w the choke lever didn't help it stay running. Struggled to get it back to my backyard.

Plugs, fouled. See photos and video.

So... I'm guessing it's way too rich. What are some thing I should check? Is there such a thing as fuel regulator (or similar)? Air feed adjustment?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I did a complete tune up on a 65 CA 77 and rebuilt the carb. The float setting 22 mm but an old Honda mechanic with over 50 years working on these bikes told me to set it at 27 mm. It to is fowling the plugs. It runs perfect. I told the owner I would reset the float but he said no it runs to well and he didnt want to change anything he would just change the plugs. Any way if everything else is good I would check/change the float level. Just my thoughts .

Bill H

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Did you look at the air filter yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a complete tune up on a 65 CA 77 and rebuilt the carb. The float setting 22 mm but an old Honda mechanic with over 50 years working on these bikes told me to set it at 27 mm. It to is fowling the plugs. It runs perfect. I told the owner I would reset the float but he said no it runs to well and he didnt want to change anything he would just change the plugs. Any way if everything else is good I would check/change the float level. Just my thoughts .

Bill H
I think the float is going to need some attention.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all, brand new CA77 owner here. Also ride a 2007 Suzuki GS500F that's been stripped to an E.

I've read so many useful information on this site, which has helped me troubleshoot enough of the symptoms to arrive at this point. And I hope you guys can help point in the the right direction.

Here's the history of what I've gone through w "Mr. Wolf" (a la Pulp Fiction).

Bought the bike two weeks ago, and at the time, it ran fine, starts up well, either electric or kick.

Then on a cold, damp morning, I tried to start it...cranks, no fire. I can smell fuel out of the tailpipe. (45° F, dew on everything)
Next evening, tried again, being mindful not to flood the engine. Cranks, fires, runs rough. Tons of unburn fuel out of tailpipe.
Then Saturday morning, fair temperature(upper 50's°), cranks, fires, but only running on one cylinder (right).
Shut it off, checked the plugs, both totally fouled.
Spark test shows fire w screwdriver attached to caps, but no fire w lightly cleaned fouled plugs.
After a few hours of reading this and other sites, I pickup a new set of D8HA plugs.

Sunday (lower 50's°), new plugs shows good spark, so in they went. Boom! Instant success.
Drove around the block, runs a little rough, but serviable. Then...
It starts to not want on stay running. Messing w the choke lever didn't help it stay running. Struggled to get it back to my backyard.

Plugs, fouled. See photos and video.

So... I'm guessing it's way too rich. What are some thing I should check? Is there such a thing as fuel regulator (or similar)? Air feed adjustment?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide.
I have always tipped the carb upside down then set the float parallel then try to blow through the fuel inlet using your mouth, with the carb upside down you shouldn’t be able to blow through the fuel inlet then turn it right side up and you should be able to blow, If you do this and it still floods have the floats weighed because heavy floats just don’t float if OK set the float leaner but be careful I have not had to change from this setting in over 50 years of rebuilding carbs of all sorts.

·
Registered
1963 Honda Dream 300
20 Posts
I also have the same issue with my Dream as I have posted earlier, my float is set at 27mm, I think I will change mine to the 22mm. My bike runs great till the plugs foul also, I am tired of buying plugs and having to carry spare plugs with me. As of now I have a fuel delivery issue, I rebuilt the shut off valve and it is trying my patience as the fouled plugs are. The new rebuilt kit worked great but after several on and offs it has stopped delivering fuel in any on position ! The tank is still on the bench upside down for a cooling off period !! Lol

·
Registered
1963 Honda Dream 300
20 Posts
I must also add to my post that I am just days away from a cure for my Dream, taking it to a local vintage repair shop and tell me what I owe ya !! Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, everyone, I took the carb off and everything looks good. I gave all the jets and pathways a visual inspiration and some gentle cleaning... No sign of damage or dirt. I. Did the upside down float test per @Mike1000, checks out. I made one mistake... PW22 carb... I set the float to 22mm... Will need to bring it back to 26mm.. Just a moment of memory mixup while thinking of what @Bill H said about 27mm vs 22mm

I also check and set the timing... "light on" on F mark method.

Here's my next thought... The coil and points... I am not impress w the color of the spark when I did the screwdriver-in-the-cap tests. Anyone using the Dyna or Accel coils? I also like them because I could install fresh wires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts