Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a '81 CM400 with 17k miles on it. Changed plugs, oil and filter, air filter, new chain and sprockets, has brand new tires, checked brake pads and shoes, checked wheel bearings, greased swingarm, inside tank looks brand new. Bike starts, runs, and sounds perfect. Any suggestions on what else I should check ? I thought about cam chain tension, but it runs perfect with no noise so I am iffy on that. Would I be able to hear if valves need adjusting ? Thanks for any input I can get, this will be my daily driver to work and back and I want it dependable. Also to anyone with a CM400, I got my K&N air and oil filters at WalMart.com believe it or not, and they were cheap, less than 7 bucks for the oil filter.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/K-N-Perf...66001f5-f9adeb06-149a16ac81ce24e8&athena=true

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
If the valves sound like an angry sewing machine they are loose. If they sound like a happy sewing machine they are good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Valves sound like happy sewing machine :p Tires are brand new still have tits on them and less than a year old IRC. Thank you for the checklist I will def check it out. So, I downloaded a manual and it says all you have to do to tighten cam chain adjuster is loosen the nut then tighten it back ? So it adjusts automatically ? Thanks for the help ;)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Yes, automatically adjusts. but do it with engine hot and idling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I would have screwed it up, I did not know to do it with the bike running :-? So, you just loosen the nut good, then re-tighten it, with the engine warm and running right ? Want to make sure I do it right because when i did a search on Youtube on how to do it several videos said the spring gets weak and you have to take off the valve cover and stick a screwdriver down in the head and manually hold the tensioner tight while tightening the nut. Thanks for the help !

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
You need to check and adjust balancer shaft chain. Should be a screw in plug on your bike, AFAIK only the 1978 had a 'plain' cover which had to be removed to adjust balancer chain. You may have to pull clutch cover anyway to move the quadrant on splines. 'We' used to do it on second service on most of them but early ones ran out of adjustment by 500 miles. I've always found it best to adjust cam chain when valve cover is off and your doing valve adjustment (it's only 2 bolts)

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
For oil filter I'd suggest WIX #24939. I get them for @$5 each from O'Rielly. They include the filter bolt and cover O-rings. The last K&N version I saw looked exactly like the Hi Flo HF112 which is a cheaply made filter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks longdistancerider, I guess the name doesn't always mean quality. I haven't received the filter yet but if it looks cheap I will just keep it for a spare and go to O'rielly. I rode my bike 60 miles today, it kinda scares me going 65 on it for any length of time, but that is what I bought it for, and 6k rpm shouldn't hurt it I guess. I did change the plugs to the D9EA plug recommended in the manual for extended highway riding. I drive 30 miles each way to work and plan on riding my bike every day it isn't raining.

Reactions: crazypj

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There's nothing terribly wrong with using the other filters, just less filtering paper.
Running freeway speeds isn't any sort of issue for these models, they'll do it as long as you can sit for day after day.
If you ride in the rain carry a small can of WD40 with you. If the engine starts to cut out stop and with the engine OFF spray the coil, plugs and wires with it. Doing it with the engine running could mean a fire, don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you ride in the rain carry a small can of WD40 with you. If the engine starts to cut out stop and with the engine OFF spray the coil, plugs and wires with it. Doing it with the engine running could mean a fire, don't ask how I know.
Roflmao. Point taken :grin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts