Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, this is my first question post here on the forum so hopefully I dont mess it up. I have recently purchased my first bike, and I am concerned about dropping it doing damage to controls etc. A)I have been told that the current tires are not great for pavement which is important as i am a new rider. That being said the rear is not new and looks like it would have decent grip however that front is knobby as all hell, so i will replace that I am thinking about the Kenda K65 Challenger.
Ryan

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I can certainly understand your concern about damage to the bike in the event of a fall. That said, a set of crash bars would look incredibly out of place on a bike customized in the way yours is. However, since I firmly believe in function over form, if crash bars would give you the peace of mind you want as a new rider, then you should absolutely pursue a set. I've only had crash bars on one bike out of the 35 I've owned since age 14, and it was my first Honda CBX (inline 6 cylinder) as the engine width concerned me from a damage perspective. Never actually needed them but it was good to have them at the time. Have you done a Google search for a set for your bike model? eBay would probably be a good place to start

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, that's what i was thinking too as far as looking out of place. I think I will need to live with the bike for a few rides first to see how confident i feel about not dropping ;) I will look on Ebay for sure, thank you so much for your help!

·
Sensei
27,033 Posts
Just an opinion, but I'd invest that money into better/more suitable street tires if you are worried about falling over.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh ya? Ok good call, what’s the issue with current tires? I’m not sure how good or bad grip will be with these tires. I won’t be rain riding on them that’s for sure. But for every day use max speed of 80KPH are these ok? Or should I put on some shinko ?

·
Sensei
27,033 Posts
Not sure there is an issue, but the last vehicle I rode with that "chunky" of cleating on the tires was a Jeep on sandy soil....and a lawn tractor/lawnmower....
Again, just an opinion, but I personally wouldn't choose to ride those at 60 KPH on paved streets.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure there is an issue, but the last vehicle I rode with that "chunky" of cleating on the tires was a Jeep on sandy soil....and a lawn tractor/lawnmower....
Again, just an opinion, but I personally wouldn't choose to ride those at 60 KPH on paved streets.......
Can you tell me why? and do you have any suggestion for replacement tires, finding tires to fit these old bikes can be a challenge.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Metric tires sizes are 90/90/18 front and 120/90/16 rear. You can go with 100/90/18 and 130/90/16 but it would serve you no purpose for doing it, plus those are a tight fit.
Knobby tires tend to feel unstable on road surfaces as each knob tends to grab as it hits anything uneven. Not a comfortable feel for a new rider or even those of us with a some miles.
I do have a set of "case saver" bars if you're concerned about crashing.

Normal "crash bars" stick out to the sides more. This is the smaller version

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's really helpful thanks! I think I will need to get a new front tire that isn't soooo damn knobby..as for case saver ya for sure I should get some installed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you suggest something like the Kenda Challenger for front? I am seeing that people are running 110/90/18 which seems to have more options than 90/90 or even 100/90.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
110/90 is a very tight fit into the fender, once it in there's very little room for debris if the tire picks anything up. I don't advise that.
As for tires? I buy the best ones I can afford. Currently running Michelin Commander 3's
I will say that matching up front/rear with the same brand is a good idea

·
Sensei
27,033 Posts
I know that wide/fat tires are "trending" because of "looks", but they can/do cause installation and handling problems if inappropriate for the bike's rim widths.....Please search and read some of the MANY previous posts on the subject before making an expensive and wrong sizing choice......The manufacture chose specific sizes and types that function properly with the bikes weight and suspension characteristics for good reason......

BTW, it was the rear tire that prompted my previous comments and advice, I can only assume the front would be even worse, but can't see it clearly.........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya I will have to take a look at what size is currently running, I have read that the standard is 110/90 (front) so I must be getting mixed information. This is what is showing on wiki but hell could be wrong. Switching out both front and rear makes sense for sure, better safe than sorry.

OEM tire sizes, at least for Comstar (non-spoked) wheels:
  • Front: 3.5S18-4PR, 100/90-18
  • Rear: 4.60S16-4PR, 120/90-16

·
Sensei
27,033 Posts
IF you simply convert mm to inches, you'll find a 3.50 tire is roughly a 90/90 or a 100/90...A 110/90 is too wide for the rim

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
This is from a while back, but still valid:

·
Registered
502 Posts
From my relatively recent experience:

1) I wouldn't worry too much about dropping the bike. It'd certainly suck if it happened but honestly I got my first motorcycle a little over a year ago so I'm a noob, and I never even got close to dropping it despite many people talking about how it was absolutely, definitely, most surely going to happen. Not saying it won't of course, I'm not that cocky :-D, but so far so good... :)

2) Do you have your bike's owner's manual? I agonized for like 2 months about what tires to get for my bike, and finding a set that fit mine was a PITA because the stock size is not a standard, so I tried figuring out a slightly different size that might fit and it was a pain; since your bike is older you might be in the same boat... in the end I went to the Honda dealership near my home and they simply installed the ones that were listed on my manual (Dunlops). I'm super happy with them. Nothing fancy, but they work (and I commute every day, sometimes in the rain and definitely in the cold these days, haven't had any issue) and just following what was on the manual made things very simple and straightforward. That being said Kenda often came up as a good substitute when I was researching mine...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts