Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My (CB350G) clutch had stuck discs from sitting a long time and I had to take them out for a cleaning. Put all back in and tried to adjust the clutch and there never seems to be enough "pull" to make it release. I adjusted as per clymer book with no luck. Yes the ball bearing is in place....if I loosen the clutch springs a bit then it will release when pulled. What am I overlooking? Seems like if the slack was taken up it should work.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
First, a simple (perhaps stupid) question....Did you re-oil (soak in clean oil) the "friction" plates before re-installing them?........(dry plates sometimes "stick")

The pressure plate does not have to move far to release the clutch..... IF the "worm" assembly (actually balls and ramps) is adjusted properly (so the balls are in the pockets) any rotation will "roll them" up the ramps and push the rod into the pressure plate releasing the clutch......
From my experiences, MOST clutch release problems are misadjustment of the "worm' assembly..... People tend to try to adjust with/by removing ONLY the cable slack (which is incorrect).....The "worm" must be correctly positioned and adjusted first, then the slack taken out of the cable.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re oil the plates....uuhhh....left them dry. That's probably the trouble. Thanks for the quick reply. Still don't know all the tricks with a wet clutch.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
It's more likely the worm adjustment, but the plates should be oiled......
Put as much slack in the cable as possible....Adjust the worm until you feel pressure, then back off 1/8 to 1/4 turn and lock it down...then take slack out of cable....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 66 I got it. trouble was lower cable adjuster turned the wrong way or too far "out" of the drive cover :lol: .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts