Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my CB500T out on a ride with some Friends and they let me know that the bike smoked pretty bad while I was running it through the gears hard and on the expressway at higher speeds. The oil was a little low after the ride and the left pipe is wet with oil. The compression is low on the bike as well. Hadn't checked it before this so I don't know if it was worse at one time. It sat without running since 1986 and did smoke at idle for a while when I first got it started. I think the rings are stuck from sitting. I have been running Marvel Mystery oil in the gas to see if that will help. I also dumped some in the spark plug holes after taking the compression test and am going to let it soak a week or so. Looks like a top end job will be needed if I don't get lucky here.
Someone at the one stop we made suggested Acetone but that seems to me like it would evaporate too fast.
Any suggestions are appreciated. I have other bikes to ride for now so I may make this a science project.
Don

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention that the bike only has 9000 miles on it

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
9000 is enough to wear out a set of rings (depending on oiling, how it was ridden and how it was broken-in).... Compression specs are the same as a 450.......MUST be OVER 160 PSI (actually 163+), and should be about 180ish..... What are your readings?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
120 psi. I am not real proud of my compression tester though and am going to get a better one this week.
Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts