Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I finally finished remodeling my honda cm185 , but as I took it out for a spin today I seem to notice that when I riding and I come to a stop I sart to down shift while coming to a stop, but it seems that it doesn't let me pass to first gear, it stays in second gear ? If I play with it back and forth shifting it from 2nd to third and then down shifting again it goes into first ? What can this be, new to this so please help

·
Registered
79 Posts
The slack of the chain are influenting much on the gearbox's function!
By the help of a driving freind it's easy to determine If the chain-slack is as needed:
- If the chain shatters hard up/down during smooth driving in high gear - It's too tight!
- If it serpents in soft movements, it's too slack!
- Ideal adjusting of the chain will place it right between theese two extremes: It will hang down in one long bow!
Once get used to the ideal chain-slack and with a fine sense, one should be able to determine the state of the chain-slack by the function of the gearbox :-o

At this point it shouldn't surprise You that I recommend to check the chain during a smooth! ride ;-)

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
+1 on the clutch adjustment.
For the record the chain adjustment will have little, if any, effect on the shifting of the transmission. The chain should be adjusted to the specification listed in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) not by subjective analysis while riding. This is why there are specifications for each model. It's the difference between "I think it's adjusted correctly" and "I know it's adjusted correctly".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having the same issue

I'm having the same issue, when I opened the casing and dug in I found that the roller on the selector arm kept slipping behind the gear(1st-4th gear sprocket). Have you come across this same issue? If so have you found a way to fix the problem? I'm not a cycle mechanic but my thoughts were the spring that the selector rests on is bad, or the something with the gear/sprocket is bent or warped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts