Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on how to remove the twin cylinders on my CB360 which are stuck to the engine base?
The engine is still in the bike with the head removed.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Is the bike a "basket case" bike, or was it in running condition? If it was in running condition, then it should just be a matter of making sure the pistons are level with each other and slowly working the cylinder back and forth and pulling up slightly, maybe a few taps of a rubber mallet too. If it is a "basket case", you might have to soak in PB Blaster penetrant for a few days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a running bike with a new valve job. But it has real low compression on one cylinder and need a rings - or maybe even a over-bore and new pistons. I need to get the cylinders off to tell.
The crank rotates and the pistons go up and down. And so far I've tried a few blows with a rubber mallet around the outside of the cylinders and a few with a dead blow hammer using a piece of 4/4 as a go-between against cylinders.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Random thought since I am out of ideas:

Is the cylinder base gasket there? I am hoping the PO didn't cheap out and use gasket sealant in place of a real gasket...That might account for it being stuck? Mine came off relatively easily.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No way to tell if there is a gasket there. But the seal at the base of the cylinder looks awfully tight for there to be one.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Using a sharpened gasket scraper, tap it into the gap between the crankcase and the cylinders at various points around the engine. A little bit at a time, don't get violent. 2 or more scrapers makes it easier/faster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts