Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that the screws on the right hand side cover is stripped. Guess I should have looked over the bike closer when I purchased it. Would it be difficult for me to attempt to drill them out? Never drilled out screws before. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
You're not going to drill the screws out. Instead you will drill the heads of the screws off and the after removing the cover you use vise grips or a stud remover tool to take the threaded portion out. Have to be very careful of the mating surface and not scar it or you'll have a leak.
Drill bit size is #9 which is .0009" smaller than the thread. #8 is .0021" larger and would be ok to use.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I see. Thank you for explaining the process to me - makes sense. Do you by any chance know where I can replace these screws with Allen bolts or other screw where I don’t need to deal with a JIS screw?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you mention drill bit #9 as being .0009 - I must be looking at the wrong drill bits. For some reason, #9 cross reference to 0.1960. Am I looking at the wrong type of drill bits? Sorry for the rookie question.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
A quarter inch bit works great. A quarter inch left hand bit works even better

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Fairly often, it will spin the screw out of the hole as the head comes loose.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There are fractional drill bits which everyone is used to seeing and then there's numbered drill bits.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
31210D0D-00CD-469C-A0C5-DD91B1B27EF9.jpg
Here is my preferred method of screw removal if you have access to a mig or tig welder. Make a 90 degree bend in a short piece of 1/4” steel rod and carefully tack it onto the head of the offending screw. The heat from the tack and a shot of pb blast help free it up and you can spin the screw out. Hasn’t failed me yet on the most frozen of screws. Faster than drilling out. Of course not everyone has a welder at their disposal.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I might be tempted to try vice grips on the starter motor screws, and on the oil slinger cover use a flat head screw driver (ground sharp) and use it as a chisel to tap it out.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Slick idea - what a nasty looking thing it must have come out of in the background
B386B774-BDD6-4EB9-9FED-83CEB05FBF11.jpg
Hahaha, good eye there Ancientdad! Yes, it was a lost cause 305 motor that had sat outside for years with no dipstick in it. I was trying to salvage the side covers. No saving the rest of that poor motor.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hahaha, good eye there Ancientdad! Yes, it was a lost cause 305 motor that had sat outside for years with no dipstick in it. I was trying to salvage the side covers. No saving the rest of that poor motor.
Yep, sure looks like a lost cause. the junkyard down the road from me that I posted a bunch of pictures from last year is just like that... no cover over 90% of his bike area and lots of openings to the heavens on what would be perfectly valuable engines, many filled with water despite minimal openings like a breather tube. I took a few dipsticks out while there and found the same thing, bottom end full - what a waste

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As an update - I used a screw extractor kit off amazon and was able to remove all 3 screws. The cover is still on pretty tight? Do I use a screwdriver to pry it off in that one slot?

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Good deal getting the screws out. That cover has a “step” to it so it has to slide out 10mm or so to be free (the step contains the inlet and outlet oil passageways so make sure they line up when reassembling). I have used the slot you mentioned to carefully pry with a screwdriver. There are actually 2 slots, look underneath and you’ll see the other. Work back and forth between the 2 to get it off. The covers are soft metal so go easy as they will bugger up if not careful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts