Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I've read a number of ways to extract a damaged philips head, but not sure how to get at this one. This is from a HondaCB that was sitting 30 years. I used a manual impact driver on the side cover bolts and that worked great. But the electric impact driver just stripped it.

oilcap.pg.jpg

·
Registered
632 Posts
You got problems there! You'll need to very carefully try to remove that screw. It goes into the crank end. You can't drill it off; because you will still need to get an 8mm bolt into the cap to remove it. So which bit have you stripped? The cross head looks like you could punch it to close it and try again with your manual impact driver? I'd also try to apply local heat to the screw head with a gas soldering iron just to help you.
If you have to drill the head of the screw off you'll need to try left handed drill bits to see if they can jar the screw loose.
Good luck!
Nigel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nigel it worked! I used the manual impact driver. I was afraid that was going to break something hitting it hard. I put it in the sun to warm it up good and sprayed it with PB blaster. But there was just enough head left that the driver loosened it. Thanks!

·
Registered
535 Posts
You need a longer impact bit for the manual driver, and heat. The harbor freight one coms with a long bit, but it'll only last a few uses.

Oops, too late, looks like you already got it :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts