Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I’m tearing into a new-to-me 71 CB450 and realizing that at every opportunity a previous owner either stripped or overtorqued (or both) pretty much every slotted head and Phillips screw. I have new coils and condensers but had a terrible time freeing the coil mounting screws and the condenser screws are still stuck and the heads are rough— I’m pretty sure I’ll get them all free but would like to replace all of them— anybody know the right sizes? Maybe Allen heads would be better in there?
Thanks
Mitch

·
Registered
293 Posts
An inexpensive pencil torch works wonders at surgically applying heat to smaller screws like that. Along with a really hard clamp with vice grips, hand impact driver or chisel and hammer, I rarely fail to get a stripped bolt out. Always go back with stainless socket heads and never seize.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't seem to find the correct size stainless steel screws anywhere (two big box places and Autozone)--
Might just put the same crappy ones back in since I have the new coils and condensers ready to install -- but if anyone has any ideas (or hardware) let me know!
Mitch

·
Registered
460 Posts
WintrSol has the right idea. In my area ACE is the only place I can go and get the hardware I need. Most others have a pretty piss poor selection.

If you are willing to wait, Bolt Depot probably has what you need. I've not personally purchased anything from them but I have heard good things.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Good point--getting to be few and far between up here in New England but I know a good one that's not far.
Thanks-
Most towns have some sort of fastener supply outfit. Fastenal locally, though I use an independent family hardware store that has EVERYTHING. When I lived in Seattle, I always used Tacoma screw. I would usually just print out a list of sizes from the microfiche and the counter guy would bring me back a bag of fasteners.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts