Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

This is my first post on this site! To make a long story short I own a candy orange early production 1974 CB360 with the front drum brake. Very cool bike. I recently have put a good amount of work into it. I've replaced my ignition points with a Charlies Place electronic ignition, I've readjusted my tappet clearance to spec, I've replaced my cam chain guide and tensioner slipper. I've also bench synced and vacuum synced my carbs as close to perfection as possible. Oh yeah, I also just put a set of brand new intake boots on my bike!

It's running great but i'm having one issue that i can't seem to pin point. If i let it idle it does just fine. I then cut the bike off via the kill switch, then when i immediately crank it over again it'll start right up just fine but i hear a strange humming noise from the motor that persists for approximately two to three seconds. Could this be an issue with my starter motor? That's the only major suspicion that i have right now. :confused:

I graciously appreciate everyones assistance on the matter, Thanks alot!

- Gary.

P.S. the bike only has 2,153 original miles on it

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Gary, it's highly possible that the starter clutch is making the noise. Due to the design of it, the rollers that grip the "race" area of the sprocket on the alternator rotor can sometimes slightly "chatter" during spin-down after the engine starts, causing a noise that's kind of a cross between a groan and a chirp (best thing I can think of to describe what I'm thinking about and have heard many times before). If you ride it for a good, continuous distance it will probably get more engine oil in the area and lube up the parts more, and it will probably go away. As long as the starter clutch isn't making grinding noises or slipping during cranking, things are probably okay

The rollers in the first pic (#15) ride on, and grip during cranking, the machined area of #10 to turn the crankshaft during cranking, and they might be making the "chattering" sound during the starter motor spin-down after the engine starts

360starterclutch2.jpg 360starterclutch1.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts