Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 71 cl350 is making a ticking noise. Yes I Adjusted the valves and tightened the cam chain tension. I took off the side cover and rotated the engine slowly with a wrench. There is a click every time the cylinders are getting near TDC, so when the valves are closing I believe. The bike runs though. any help is appreciated.

Matthew

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, tore engine apart. The cam chain tension was loose and wobbling around. That is why she was rattling. Why it was loose, was because the rubber pieces that insert to the base were magically gone. Im guessing I jostled them when getting the cylinders back on. So, my next questions are. Where the hell could they have gone??? I can find them anywhere in the engine. I found shards of rubber, real small ones when removing the pieces and cleaning them. Are those guys shredded to nothing now? Next. Since I JUST replaced the gaskets and the dowel rings, and hardly drove the thing due to the rattle, do I need to do that again because I tore the engine apart again? will she leak oil now if I dont? Thanks guys

Matthew

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I always replace the gaskets every tear-down..... Some will smear the base and others with silicone sealant of some sort and reuse, BUT you should replace the head gasket at least....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about the six oil pins between the bases (two between each mated surface), should I replace those as well? Also, Do you think those rubber pieces were shredded to bits?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
There are NO "rubber pieces" on the camchain tensioner on a 350....There ARE two small rubber blocks that hold the axle tube on the center guide wheel...Is that what you mean?

The steel guide tubes are usually reusable unless deformed................

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I actually just found the two rubber pieces that go at the base. I have new gaskets on their way. I also have new dowel pins coming in also. Do I need to replace those? Or can I save them for a later tear down? They have about 10 miles on them.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
You can reuse dowel pins till the cows come home......or until you lose them, whichever comes first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts