Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when relacing a spoked wheel I find that spoke tension just isn't enough to straighten out a wobble or bend in a rim. I've heard of shops that use pneumatic pressure to straighten rims out, I have tried using a vise and even hammer and block of wood but I still have a lateral bend in one spot on my rim anybody out there found a good trick for fixing bent rims? Thanks in advance I've just recently started posting here and have been thrilled with the responses and interest from you guys.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Brushes said:
anybody out there found a good trick for fixing bent rims?
Yeah, get another wheel, that's my tip. It's not worth the time and trouble, just to obtain mediocre results at best. Spoked wheels are pretty darned tough, despite appearances, it takes a lot of force to bend them. Imagine the amount of energy involved in the impact that originally bent it. I'm too lazy to estimate it in joules or k-newtons or whatever unit - but it was a lot.
400+ pound bike, plus rider(s), maybe 50 mph or more, big hole in the road, yowza !!!!

You don't fool around when it comes to your running gear - tires/wheels/brakes/suspension.
If your engine breaks, you just get pissed and walk away - if your running gear fails, you die.
Don't want to sound "lectury", but..........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts