Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 cb450 with about 16,000 miles. Today I removed the carburetors and cleaned them in my ultrasonic carb cleaner. This is my first 450 I usually ride 750's so this bike is a bit out of my wheelhouse. while all of this was going on I was also charging the battery with a battery tender. I reinstalled the carbs and hit the start button and she fired up first bump. Idle began to raise after a few minutes which I thought was odd given the fact that I didn't mess with any of the carb adjestments and it idled fine before I removed the carbs. i then proceded to lower the idle screws a touch and the idle came back down to 1000 rpms, a few seconds later it stalled and wouldn't restart. This bike always started and ran great so I am really confused as to what happened. when I am tryng to start the bike it kills the battery very fast. I am getting power to the points but the plugs are wet with fuel. I replaced the plugs and still nothing. any suggestions on where to start? Thankyou in advance

·
Registered
1975 CL360
117 Posts
The symptoms reveal a vacuum leak in the carb rubber mounts, with a high idle, or floats that are stuck in the down position causing a rich mixture and fouled plugs.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Or the seals on the throttles were damaged by the cleaning process, or ...
Yes, need more info, like how far did you take them apart before cleaning?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts