Votes: 23 76.7%
  • Classic Cafe

Votes: 7 23.3%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to pull the exhaust, carbs, and tank off the bike for some minor repairs/tuning. As some of you may know, my 1969 CL350 has led two distinct lives since I resurrected it a few years ago. When putting it back together, I have the option of leaving it as-is right now (the mostly-stock scrambler version), or changing it back to the classic café version it first was in the late '70s. Which version do y'all like the best?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Motorcycle

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Mode of transport

·
Registered
587 Posts
That bomber tank is so cool, and its a nicely executed scrambler look. The thing I like about the stock hondas is their bright colors, If I were the owner of a brand new honda in 1972 that's what it would have looked like and I would have ridden around and enjoyed it like that. When you change the bike you take away the hapless innocence of riding the bike the way it came and just putting up with it. that said that bomber tank is so cool..

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Why not have a hybrid of both styles?
I like the scrambler line but like the bomber tank better also with the lower bar. Maybe not the clubman bar but something lower profile that the stock scrambler's moto bar, never really cared for moto style bars on street bikes.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Sorry, 83. But, I like them both the same.

Reactions: 83XLX

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the scrambler to Barber last year, and was thinking about taking it as a café this year. I'm on the fence, because I like both versions. I don't need another 350, though...:D

Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Recreation

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's crazy talk,of course you need another 350:D

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes those too :D

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's crazy talk,of course you need another 350:D
I have two vintage bikes, the 350 and an old Ironhead Sportster. I don't need another vintage machine to maintain, but if I were to buy another bike, it would be a modern one, probably a Honda CB1100.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I like the cafe version, especially if you can bring it back to stock when you want, but the answer should reflect whatever you prefer to ride. I think rear sets would make the cafe verison better in terms of riding. And I like the fact that it looks like common mistakes such as pods on CV carbs and open exhaust aren't part of the equations -- it's really just tank, seat and clubmans.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the cafe version, especially if you can bring it back to stock when you want, but the answer should reflect whatever you prefer to ride. I think rear sets would make the cafe verison better in terms of riding. And I like the fact that it looks like common mistakes such as pods on CV carbs and open exhaust aren't part of the equations -- it's really just tank, seat and clubmans.
Yep, fairly easy so switch back - it probably takes just an afternoon to do it, unless I get sidetracked on something. I tried riding the café version with my feet on the passenger pegs (where most rear sets mount), but it was REALLY uncomfortable, so I ditched that idea. The café/CL exhaust is fairly open, but the bike has no trouble revving to 9000 rpm, and would probably go to the 10,500 rpm redline if I wanted it to, but the thing is almost 50 years old and I don't want to abuse it.

The scrambler is more comfortable to ride, but the café pushes my buttons, too. I originally cafe'd it in the late '70s, so it's somewhat of a vintage café bike. I had velocity stacks on it "back in the day", and discovered pretty quickly that the CV carbs didn't like that...ha ha

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have two vintage bikes, the 350 and an old Ironhead Sportster. I don't need another vintage machine to maintain, but if I were to buy another bike, it would be a modern one, probably a Honda CB1100.
Yes and that one also,very cool retro look :D

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Here you go, same bike, circa 1972...
View attachment 242129
DUUUUDE... wow, look at the colors man... :lol:

as for the question: you probably realize that I'm not a café fan, but that said, I like your 350 in its café mode for reasons already stated (and Lefty said it as well as anyone). It's a tough call... I went to high school with a guy who had your exact CL350 right down to the color, and I loved it. So I really like it both ways equally, but if I had to choose - and I'm a guy who likes something different and unique - I'd have to vote café. I think the factory Honda Bomber tank is what does it for me too...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts