Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the stock carb size? I have talked to lots of people about my 34s and still have have issues with the bike running in all ranges. i think the carbs are just to big and the air velocity is not high enought for the motor to run how it should. I want to get something smaller around the same size as stock.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
You are comparing apples and oranges..... The stock CV carbs are going to have a larger (proportionally) bore because of the way they function.....

For instance, the CB/CL 350 used 28mm CV carbs, but the SL used only 24mm slide type carbs..... The 450 CV carbs are 36mm.....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
30 or 32's ( 34's IF you bore and cam) of either Mikuni or Kei-Hin slide types (PV) can be used... In any case, you have to "flow" the intake manifolds to a smooth taper to get proper draw and mixtures.... The 'step" that is usually an occurrance when the "wrong" carbs are installed in stock "boots" is detrimental to performance......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using the factory boots, is that really a big issue with this bike? What do you recommend?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
ANY "sudden" dimensional change in the intake tract affects the flow rate of air in/through the venturi... Ideally, the openings should either be exactly the same size (internally) or taper smoothly from one diameter to the other... The "step" generally reduces the intake velocity and causes "burps" or "stumbling" as you open the throttle........This is why high performance heads are "flowed" to increase efficiency (or why/how high performance manifolds are designed).....
A clean, well adjusted, STOCK 450 CV carb will generally perform fine unless you have SERIOUS engine mods done (bored, stroked, bigger valves, radical cams, etc...)...JMHO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts