Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading up on how to do this, looking forward to trying it in the spring - if it ever gets here. I saw this video and I have a spare cap that I could cut. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Don't do it - those covers are gold. You may need it after the first time the bike falls over and punches the shift lever through your cover.
Put a piece of Saran wrap over the strobe light, that will protect it from the oil. Protecting your face might be more difficult.
The procedure is brief, but it will spit some oil at you. Live with it........

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
There was a member who was making clear plastic covers for this but I forget who it was. It was early production and the price was pretty high.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
A piece of cardboard and some duct tape is a workable solution too. Put a thin board under the left side center stand leg, to tip the bike over to the right, and it wont throw much oil at all.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never used a timing light before, will it show through plastic OK? Perhaps I can mock up something and tape it just for testing. Shouldn't get too hot.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Never used a timing light before, will it show through plastic OK? Perhaps I can mock up something and tape it just for testing. Shouldn't get too hot.
Works fine with the plastic/rubber band. Make it quick and you won't get too oily.

Or find one that already lost a battle with the shift lever, for a couple of bucks - make a timing hole in that one if you want.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I agree don't cut the cover...
HOWEVER, I have a cb450 cover that is dented/damaged.. would love to swap with you for a better cover if you are set on cutting a hole..
Not sure if they are the same or not..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Are you strobe timing for long enough that oil spray becomes an issue? I strobe time mine, and the couple minutes I have the cover off while doing it isn't enough to put more than a delicate mist of oil about 12 inches out from the rotor. A quick wipe and you're on your way.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
as mentioned in post #4 above...no need for anything fancy.

just stick a paint stick or a note book or anything similar under the left foot (only the left foot) of the center stand no oil will come out (except the little bit that dribbles out when you first take off the cover)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are you strobe timing for long enough that oil spray becomes an issue? I strobe time mine, and the couple minutes I have the cover off while doing it isn't enough to put more than a delicate mist of oil about 12 inches out from the rotor. A quick wipe and you're on your way.
Same here. I strobe time mine every time with the cover off and a few drips of oil is all that ever comes out.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked up a used timing light for 20 CAN, so now just an engine swap away from trying it out.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Drain and refill the oil but leave about 3/4 of a quart out. Put a piece of 1/2 inch plywood under the left leg of the center stand. The oil pickup is on the right side of the engine so there is no worry about oil starvation. You should be able to run the bike like this at idle. Be careful not to let it overheat. I use a big box fan in front of the bike to keep the engine cool. It is important to get the timing right and the fan gives as much time as needed. With the lowered oil level and the bike leaning to the right, very little oil will come out.

Set the left points by turning the points backing plate, set the right points by adjusting the gap and the advance can be check both sides at once. The idea is to get left and right side in sync and then check the advance on the left.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
In all the parts I had I had one Cover that had been so badly damaged I did use a Hole Saw to cut a 2" Hole at the 10:00 Position.
It really does make timing easy.
I would be OK lending it out to anyone as long as they pay for the shipping and RETURN IT when they are done.
Before I had that I used a piece of 2x4 approx 6" long.
But I have the El cheapo Harbor Freight Hydraulic Bike Bench and I can Strap the bike down with it leaned over so no chance of it falling over.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
In all the parts I had I had one Cover that had been so badly damaged I did use a Hole Saw to cut a 2" Hole at the 10:00 Position.
It really does make timing easy.
I would be OK lending it out to anyone as long as they pay for the shipping and RETURN IT when they are done.
Before I had that I used a piece of 2x4 approx 6" long.
But I have the El cheapo Harbor Freight Hydraulic Bike Bench and I can Strap the bike down with it leaned over so no chance of it falling over.
A few years ago I made a Plexiglas cover out of 1/4 inch clear. I cut the center out to clear the rotor and stator and glued it to a flat piece. Then I match drilled 6 mm holes from the Honda cover and roughly trimmed the outer. I have 6 mm allen bolts with washers to hole it on. It worked pretty good and you can actually test ride the bike with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts