Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, long time no talk...

i replaced my original 450 coils with the mikes xs ones, and a new condenser unit, under two years ago. those things have been great until now. something hasn't been running right on my bike for about a month so i finally got a chance to dig in to it last night. found symptom: running on one cylinder. left side only is firing. right plug is drenched in fuel. further, i strobe (with my inductive light) to check out my timing (why would that suddenly be off- things were fine a month ago, i guess some major vibrating moving my points out of whack?) and the right plug cable isn't producing any light at all. the left is fine. i actually did swap the coils before this as well and got the suspected opposite results: left side wouldn't fire. actually bike wouldn't start at all with my coils swapped. but again i'm more concerned with why i appear to not be getting any juice from my right coil. could it be that my right coil is already shot? am i being really dumb here, do i need to have my right side timing re-set perfectly(static timed) before expecting to see any juice from my right coil? after two years of ownership, still learning the basics...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Have you bought a new plug for the non-firing side?? Could be as simple as a fouled plug but I don't know how you're checking for fire..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Seth....Not enough info....Did you swap coils and points, and sides (which plug the wire attaches to) or just the coils and points, or just the coils?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah steve. i need to call you tomorrow. can you PM your number again...

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
No need to PM....Any member is welcome to call and ask questions if they think I can help....... 540-427-4256..... I screen calls, so wait for beep and start talking ( just say your name and Hondatwins)...If I'm there, I'll pick-up.....best time is 8 ish in evenings (EDT).... If I don't answer, please leave your number.... :D Steve

·
Registered
97 Posts
i had this same problem, with the right cyl not firing. i took off the coil and tested them with and ohmeter and i think one is bad because i got infinite on the left side between the ground and the spark plug...it was the test that the manual said to do to see if they are bad. and btw what is mikes xs??? i saw that you said you got new coils from there/him.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Just a note: i had a Mikes XS coil dead straight out of the box :shock: and two dead spark plugs after only 5 min of running. So these things can just die sometimes :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts