Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Noob here, still getting a feel for the layout of the forum...and a feel for my ride...

I've got a 78 CB400T that has kind of a stiff clutch. After a couple of weeks I'm starting to feel some carpal tunnel type of soreness in my forearm. It feels like a stiff spring somewhere. It returns just fine.

I don't know anything about these clutches yet (but I hope to soon). What can I do to make the clutch easier to pull? I saw a couple of threads about replacing the cable. How much will that affect it's pull? What's the mechanism like that returns the clutch lever back out?

Thanks,
BaileyMan

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
On the 400's the cable (rust, lack of lube, or fraying) is quite often the problem... Routing path and proper adjustment are both possibilities for the "stiffness" as well......
You will need to order the one for your exact model (because of handlebar height/bend differences requiring different overall length cables) or you will have routing problems...... Steve

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. Sounds pretty straight forward. The cable replacement should be easy. Any recommendations on replacing the inner cable only vs. both inner and outer?

Thanks again,
Baileyman

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
BaileyMan said:
Thanks Steve. Sounds pretty straight forward. The cable replacement should be easy. Any recommendations on replacing the inner cable only vs. both inner and outer?

Thanks again,
Baileyman
You need to replace them both since the ends are soldered and the cable can not be removed out of the sheath.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Thanks. On my scoot their separate, and one can replace the inner cable separately from the outer (or the sheath).

Cheers,
BaileyMan

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
That MAY be your problem... The stock Honda cables are unitized, inner and outer are sold as one because of the "leaded' slugs on both ends of the inner (preventing its removal).... IF you can pull the inner out of yours, either the 'real" end has broken off and it has been "Mickey-Moused", or it isn't the correct cable...... :eek: Steve

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
When an improper free length or "wrong" cable is used, it alters the angle the lever/worm sits at and that affects the "pull" required..... The clutch springs get weaker as they go bad, not harder to compress.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts