Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a dumb thing and am hoping I don't have to split the cases of my newly fired (and running great) 1973 CB450.

For years I have been using a 50-50 mixture of STP and engine oil to pre-lube engine parts during assembly and it has never let me down.

But I think that has gummed up my shift drum and forks to the point where they do not move at all in either direction using the shift lever.

I noticed this on the bench during assembly, but assumed once the engine was a full operating temp things would loosen up.

I have only run the engine about 10 minutes so far. Perhaps I need to run it longer or perhaps I'm just fooling myself and there is a larger mistake that will require splitting the cases or at least pulling the clutch to see what is going wrong.

Is there kind of safe solvent product I could squirt in there via the oil filler opening or the little hole in the right crankcase (assuming I remove the clutch to access it) that might loosen up the sticky STP?

Thanks in advance for that answer or any other ideas!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Not sure how that would gum up your shift drum and forks causing them to not move at all. You are most likely suffering from a faulty shifter axle, some loose parts at the end of your shift drum (the flower shaped plate), or the bolt that holds the drum in place is somehow catching on the drum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes, probably true. I will have to pull the right-side cover and clutch and have a detailed look. I was thinking since the STP is like 50wt I had something like hydraulic lock with the grooves in the shift drum and the pins in the shift forks, but doesn't seem very likely (just wishful thinking there'd be a quick/easy fix.)
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top