Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my ride into work today after 20mi of freeway, I shifted from 5th gear to 4th and my shift lever did'nt click back to the ready position, I had to push it back up with my toe. It does the same thing in every gear and wont shift through neutral, I have to reset my shift lever with my toe every time I shift. It feels like a spring is missing...

I replaced my clutch cable two days ago and everything was working very smooth until I got off the freeway this morning. The ride home is going to be a PITA.
I can't trouble shoot my bike at work and am wondering if I should even try to ride home, I don't want to cause any further damage...

So, does anyone know what cuold be causing this?
Am I going to do any further damage if I try to ride the 25mi home?
Is it a serious problem or can I fix it with a few basic tools in less than an hour?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
yep....when you put the shift lever back on, you taped the leaver to get it seated, correct?
Well what happened is the little cir-clip on the shifter side of the shift shaft came out of its groove and has allowed the shaft to move to the right towards the clutch. This in turn has allowed the shift paw to come adrift from the shift drum and return spring, causing your problem ;)
The fix is to pull the clutch side cover and reseat the shift paw...ok done....now,pull the leaver side cover, replace the cir-clip with a new one, refit the cover and gently refit the shift lever, now go and cain the hell out of the bike for misbehaving :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rod. Ya, I taped the lever :oops:
Do you think it is a bad idea to try to ride it the 25mi home (with lots of shifting gears involved)?
Will I do more damage or will it just be a PITA?
I really don't want to suffer the emberasment of having the old lady come pick up me and the bike in my truck.
But I will...

Or...
What tools should I tell her to bring me besides 3qt of oil a 10mm wrench and a screwdriver?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
l5cygx said:
Well, unless someone tells me I am going to cause further damage, I'm going to try to limp home. :?
Thanks for the input. ;)
Sorry mate went to bed after the post......It's ok to ride, hope you got home ok :?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
l5cygx said:
Sorry for using the forum as an emergency help line, but once again it saved the day!

There's no reason our forum can't be used for exactly that use. If we had a member nearby then you'd likely get even more emergency assistance.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
How did you go? get it all fixed ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts